Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen (Walter)

Peter was silent the whole way back to the hospital.

He looked surprisingly shaken when we received the news from Hunter that Seth and Kipp had gotten into a serious accident. Peter didn't even really like us, from what I could tell, and yet he still seemed to show fear and pain over them. I didn't question him about it, though.

I did want to question Adam, however.

What was his deal? I'd never seen him freak out like that before. The moment he took the duct tape off Julian's mouth, and all that blood came pouring, I had to admit that I was stunned. I didn't think removing someone's fangs would make them bleed that much, unless Jack had done something else to Julian that we didn't know about, but from the looks of him, he was totally fine, except the fangs. They were gone.

But the look on Adam's face. You'd think someone just killed his puppy. I guess I never really paid attention to how serious his relationship with Julian was. Adam had turned murderous, agonized, all at the same time. And when Peter told him about Seth and Kipp, it was like the final blow.

Adam looked stuck. And I could see the panic in his eyes. He didn't know what to do, where to go, what decisions to make, how to save anyone. The guilt of blaming himself for what happened to them blazed so hot inside him that when I had grabbed him, I practically felt the burn of it. I was feeling a little suicidal, I suppose, when I had treated Adam roughly. I'd only done it once another time before and Adam had punched my lights out for it, but this time, it was like something I said clicked with him. The way he looked at me like he was seeing a light at the end of a dark, dreary tunnel.

And for some reason, it actually felt good to know that I wasn't totally useless.

So after managing to snap Adam out of his daze, he went back to his macho bossy attitude and we were on a roll to the hospital.

We pulled into the parking lot just outside the visitor lobby near the emergency wing. Adam led the way in after we got Julian changed out of his bloody clothes into a fresh pair. By then, I had noticed that his mouth had stopped bleeding, which meant his magic vampire powers were working, but he didn't dare open his mouth. He stayed quiet, and it was so odd.

Julian was a natural obnoxious loudmouth that liked picking fights for shits and giggles. He was rude sometimes, but he was honest and loyal. And right now, he just wanted to hide the shame of not having his fangs anymore. I had learned already that fangs were a vampires most important weapon and way to get food. And now Julian's were gone.

Even with Adam holding his hand tightly the whole way into the hospital, I knew Julian was going to change.

We went to the desk and informed the woman we were friends of Seth's. She made us go to the closed off glass lobby where we spotted Kipp sitting on a sofa with a paper cup full of water. He jumped to his feet as soon as he saw us. He looked pretty crappy with a large bruise forming on the side of his cheek, several small cuts made on his cheek, neck, and shoulder that was wrapped up in gauze, a gauze pad stuck to his forehead over what I assumed were stitches.

"You guys!" Kipp sounded like he couldn't say anything more than that. I waited by Peter while Adam and Julian went to Kipp. While I had joined their little group, I still didn't entirely feel part of it, so I would give them the privacy they needed, because Kipp looked like he was on the verge of bursting into tears and even Adam took a moment to give Kipp a quick man hug before they split up.

"What happened, Kipp?" Adam asked firmly, studying Kipp's face intently. Kipp glanced at Julian, who just stared at him expectantly, before Kipp sighed and wrung out his hands, wincing every so often when he jostled his shoulder.