Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve (Adam)

We had gathered at a hotel on the other side of town to avoid getting caught by Orion and whoever else might be with him. We sat in the lobby of the suite we managed to buy with the money that Daimonas conjured for us. I was beginning to like his powers... Except when he conjured McDonalds meals because he still hadn't gotten the concept of health or cleanliness because he left the wrappers sticking everywhere.

"You know, you're going to end up with heart problems." Seth pointed out dryly as he sat on the bed on his stomach, screwing around with a laptop he'd stolen from Kyle's van. Daimonas gave Seth an odd look.

"What'sss that?" He asked, chewing a mouthful of fries before taking a sip of his chocolate shake. Seth gave him a droll stare, then shook his head and went back to typing. Daimonas whined.

"Why don't you anssswer me? I need to learn about your world, right? I only learn by getting my quessstionss anssswered." He complained, making Seth groan and cover his ears. Daimonas pouted and Julian sighed wearily, looking up from the files we'd copied from Orion's hotel room.

"Heart problems, Dai. It means that all that grease and fat is gonna clog up your arteries and make you fat and sick and you'll probably have a heart attack before you reach age thirty." Julian explained calmly before looking back down. Daimonas blinked.

"What did you call me?" He asked. Julian frowned and looked up.

"Huh? You mean Dai? It's a nickname. Your name is a mouthful."

"I like it." Daimonas declared with a happy smile, then he looked confused for a moment. I looked at him and waited for him to ask us another question, but for once, he didn't ask anything. He seemed to be thinking. I looked away to stare down at the Google maps I had brought up of Olivia's address. She lived in an apartment not far from where we were at.

And honestly? I hadn't liked the plan we'd come up with.

It was... dirty.

But Hunter had made it so and what he said goes, no matter how stupid and crazy it was. Speaking of Hunter, he'd promised to help us with research on the generals and their locations, but the fat ass had fallen asleep on the sofa with Peter on the floor scribbling things down in a notebook. We had kept Kyle tied up and shoved into the furthest corner of the room near Walter, who sat in a fluffy armchair with a few books on vampires. The guy was obsessed, and part of me wondered if there was something in him that still wanted to expose us to the human world.

Kipp was chewing on gummy worms as he hung upside down on the same bed as Seth, reading files on the generals and reading bits and pieces out loud.

"So," He said, gulping another worm and making a weird choking sound that Seth slapped him for before he recovered, "Agh, anyway. So, this Jack guy is apparently a real psycho. He doesn't just kill his victims, he tortures them and steals their body parts. That's wicked."

"No," Seth corrected sternly, "That's disgusting. Why does he do that?"

"Insurance," Kipp answered, making us frown at him, "At least, that's what he told the judge when they nabbed him and threw him to the court room. He claimed he was keeping their body parts for rituals in case something happened to him. The guy is a real big voodoo man. He was born in New Orleans around the time that voodoo was introduced to the natives there. He lived with his mother and their slave, Nana, for the first fifteen years of his life. Apparently the slave taught him all he needed to know about voodoo before she was killed for trying to escape. Jack didn't take that too well and killed his mother for it as well as the guys who did it."

"Sounds like he loved his slave more than his mother." Julian muttered, wrinkling his nose.

"Humansss have ssslavesss?" Daimonas asked, confused.