Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen (Julian)

It would be an understatement to say that I wasn't nervous.

I knew why Adam didn't want to do this, and I honestly agreed with him all the way, but I was also trying to be logical here. We couldn't get our hands on those demons any other way. We couldn't very well sneak in there again and make off with them. It'd be too hard, and suspicious if we showed up repeatedly.

We just needed to get Olivia, bring her to the park, and put in a call to Orion's cell and wait for him to flip his shit and come save his girlfriend. That was all.

So why did I feel like my throat was closing up on me?

I walked as calmly and casually as I could as Adam and I made our way down the block toward the parking lot. Around us, the world seemed to just go on, like it had no idea what was about to go down. They were blissfully unaware that there was a supernatural war being fought around them. One side wanting to kill and enslave them, turn them into cattle for the creatures of the night that fed upon them. One side wanted to keep them safe, to live peacefully amongst them.

And they didn't even know it.

They fought their own silly wars over stupid things like religion and race and politics. In my world, we fought over power and survival, for peace. In my world, no one cared who you worshipped, what color your skin was, who you wanted to run for president. In a way, both sides of this war wanted peace, but only their own kind of peace.

Vladimir's side, as much as I hated to call it that, wanted to live peacefully amongst humans, to learn from them, and grow with them as they began to spread from industry to full-blown technology with touch pad phones and computers and other weird things.

Zephyra wanted to live in a peaceful, bloody world where they didn't have to fight to survive, where they didn't need to hide who they were and while it made a bit of sense, they weren't going about it the right way.

Humans were scared of us. They made up stories about how we were hell spawn that desperately wanted humans.

We didn't want humans.

We needed humans.

Not so we could pull an Exorcist or Dracula move, but because they were our best and largest source of food. The human population was growing more and more with each passing day. And it was giving us more opportunity to feed, and we didn't even need to kill our prey. We could just take a bite and leave. They wouldn't turn, unless we gave them our blood in return.

Why was it so hard to live with humans? Why didn't they want us around? So what if we took a bite or two? It's not like we were killing anyone, not the way the humans did to cows and pigs and chickens and other livestock.

I sighed, getting a headache from trying to comprehend it all. I ran a hand through my hair and leaned against the post at the corner of the block to wait for the light to turn on so we could cross. My eyes drifted to Adam, who stood beside me with his thumbs looped into the pockets of his jeans. He looked incredibly sexy with his wind touseled hair and hazel eyes searching the streets. I like the way his muscles flexed under his shirt whenever he shifted.

He caught me staring at him and a smirk crept onto his face. He leaned toward me and kissed me quick on the cheek before the light changed and we were allowed to cross.

"This'll be over soon," Adam told me as we crossed, making me glance at him, "I promise." I smiled in relief at that. It made me feel better to hear him say that, because I knew that one way or another, Adam would always keep his promise. Adam smiled back at me.