Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (Walter)

This was really none of my business.

I don't know why I stayed behind outside of Hunter's room waiting for Peter. Probably because I felt bad when Hunter pretty much said he didn't want Peter to be there. I knew what it felt like to show up at home and hope your family was happy to see you, but instead, they cringed away from you. I had tried coming home for Thanksgiving this year, but I didn't even make it to the house. I went shopping to find something for my mom and I saw my brother at the same store.

He told me to go away. So I did. I wasn't going to go where I wasn't wanted. Even though I knew Adam didn't want me around, but he was the only one who didn't think I was insane. Well, him, Julian, and everyone else involved in this crazy vampire world.

Life had gotten complicated, and even worse now that Vladimir wasn't on our side.

I mean, I understood why he was pissy and wanted Daimonas dead. If we got rid of Daimonas, that'd be one big obstacle out of the way. Zephyra was hunting him, not us. Exactly, anyway. Vladimir and Alexander were hunting Daimonas. The guy was super powerful, apparently, but he had the mind of a two-year-old. If Zephyra got a hold of him again, they could use him to do something catastrophic. If Vlad and Alex got him, Daimonas would be killed. And everything up until now would have been wasted.

Personally, Daimonas wasn't that bad. He didn't bother me. He was weird, yeah, but it wasn't his fault he was a demonic parasite fighting his siblings to stay alive by finding a powerful host. And then it turns out he knows nothing about the world outside of Julian's head.

Yeah, but he had more innocence than the rest of us. Everyone was corrupted in their own way.

And I just happened to be a sociopath.

The sound of the bedroom clicking shut snapped me from my thoughts and I turned to see Peter coming out. He looked angry and hurt at the same time, eyes red from crying and his teeth clenched. I felt like I should've said something, but instead of trying to make him feel better, I just said,

"Adam told us to share a room." I deadpanned. Peter blinked, quickly wiping at his eye before casting me a suspicious stare.

"I don't trust you."

"And I don't trust you either, but I trust you more than I trust Vladimir and since we're both humans and Vladimir's a vampire, I think you'd be safer with me." I admitted, then shrugged. It was his fault if he wanted to get attacked in his sleep, alone. I walked past him and headed down the hallway to one of the rooms, and while I expected it, I was still mildly surprised to hear Peter's footsteps following me as I made my way to a guest room. I glanced up and down the hallways as Peter stopped beside me. I opened the door and came inside to see a large canopy bed, a red velvet sofa, a flat screen, and even a bathroom that connected.

"There's only one bed." Peter said. I gave him a droll stare, then looked away as I left the doorway and went to the sofa. I studied it for a moment before going to the bed and taking off one of the blankets and taking a pillow. I went to the sofa, dropped the pillow and blanket, then turned to Peter.

"I'll take the sofa." I replied. Peter stared at me for a second, looking surprised before he shrugged, then came in and shut the door. I turned my back to him and stripped my jacket off, tossing it over the back of the sofa and moving to take my shirt off.

"What're you doing?" Peter squeaked. I dropped my shirt, turning to stare at him.

"What do you think?"

"Well, I mean... Uh, never mind." He turned around and went to the bed. I raised an eyebrow, but said nothing else as I turned back around and stripped my shirt off, tossing it onto my jacket. I ran a hand through my hair, pausing to stare at the television. I hadn't actually watched anything decent since my television was only a handful of local channels. Vladimir probably had a fancy package that I couldn't afford in my dreams.