Chapter One

Chapter One (Adam)

Note: Sweet Revenge and Sweet Karma are before this one!

"Hello, you've reached Adam and Julian Grey. We're not available right now. Please leave a message after the tone."

Bleep

"Adam, Julian. It's Alex. Uhm, listen, I know we haven't talked in a while and you have every right to be mad at me, but, Julian, I found something important that I think you should know. It's about your, uhm... Part time job? Whatever you want to call it. Anyway, call me as soon as possible. You have my cell. I hope you're taking care of yourself. Dad's worried that you haven't called him in a few days. So remember to call him too. All right... Bye, Julian."

Bleep

That was the fourth time Alexander Lee Grey called in order to get in contact with his brother, Julian, who was laying beside me in bed during the message, but he was sleeping right through it. He slept quietly, eyes closed blonde hair touseled against the pillow. He was completely naked, save for the blankets that were pulled up to his waist. His legs were entangled with mine, arms drawn up to his chest.

It was something I'd been waking up to for the past year now.

Through a series of rather unfortunate events, maybe a few good ones on the side, but mostly bad ones, Julian and I found ourselves an eerily quiet life. It wasn't supposed to be considering everything that had happened last year.

The terrorist organization known as Zephyra had spent months hunting Julian down to extract what we discovered to be a demonic parasite named Daimonas living inside Julian's conscious mind. We spent most of our time hiding and defending, probably hoping and praying that Zephyra would forget about us and move onto something else, but it didn't help at all.

Zephyra found Julian and took him where Daimonas apparently left Julian, only to fall into a coma for a week in order to recharge his powers. Wulf, Julian's ex-fiance and residential pervert, planned to marry Julian and take him to New York.

In the process of trying to get him back, Vanessa Marie Grey was murdered. Alex, Julian, and Amber's mother. And while the woman didn't very much appreciate my existence, she treated me more like a son than my own mother had and to have seen her corpse lying in the church, unmoving, had struck something in me the way it had Julian.

Hunter, a human, well, hunter, promised he would train us so we could be ready to fight Zephyra. He said the day we called and he didn't pick up was the day that assured us we were ready, and unfortunately, every single time in the past year that we've called him, he's picked up.

I could tell Julian was getting impatient. He was working his ass off. Both in training and real life issues. He had a part time job working at a bar and was still in our band that we had renamed Hunters. In fact, this was the first day off he had in months, which explained why he was sleeping so deeply.

I propped myself up on my elbow, leaning over to kiss Julian on the head. He moaned faintly in his sleep and curled closer to my side of our double bed. I smiled for a split second, then stopped when I remembered that my smile wasn't the same as it used to be.

No, not some angsty bullshit about my emotions.

I mean, it literally was not the same it used to be. Even a year later, I was still having trouble hiding my fangs from everyone. Even calling them my fangs made me uncomfortable. And speaking of fangs, they were throbbing in my gums. Julian told me it meant that I was thirsty, incredibly thirsty, but he was sleeping and I wasn't about to bother him for anything.