Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three (Adam)

"Do you see anything?" I asked, frowning as I sat beside Hunter, who was holding a pair of binoculars to his eyes, staring at the tall, brick building with police tape indicating everyone to stay away. Hunter didn't answer me for a moment, which sent a bolt of irritation through me.

Hunter had been acting awfully weird lately. It had something to do with the demons, that much I knew, and that much alone bothered me. I knew he was a hunter and he liked to hunt anyone abnormal down, but we didn't have time for his petty vendettas. We had bigger fish to fry.

"Okay," Hunter said at last, making me glance at him, "There's about six guys by the front door and I saw a few go around back. There's movement on the fifth floor, but that's all I'm getting right now. The windows are tinted or covered in tarps."

"Crap," I muttered, "We can't run in there guns blazing on our own. Walter's down. Daimonas and Seth are in there. Julian's... Julian just can't. That just leaves you, me, and Peter. Even Peter might be hesitant because of the whole thing with Walter. I didn't think they were so close." Hunter twitched at that and for a second, I thought he was angry about the situation with Peter and Walter, but his face became a mask of stoicism.

"As much as I hate to say it, leech, you're right," He grunted, making me roll my eyes at his attempt at an insult, "And there's only one creature I can think of that can take down six vampires without breaking a sweat."

"You got their number?"

"It's not a matter of having the number. It's a matter of convincing them to join us-- again."

"Fine," I deadpanned, "Just call 'em anyway. I'm gonna try putting in a call to someone myself." Hunter gave me an odd stare, but reluctantly pulled out his cell phone. I waited as we both sat in silence while it rang on the other end. Due to my now sensitive hearing, I instantly hear Newell's voice the moment he picked up.

"This better be good or I'm hanging up." Newell's voice sounded stressed and angry. But then, it always sounded like that. The guy had an eternal stick up his ass about everything, but given how tiny and vulnerable he was, it probably was a good excuse for his bitch attitude. I said nothing as Hunter pretended to play it cool.

"Hey, midget, I sorta need you to come in for a little bit. Just as temporary back up." He drawled, chewing on the end of his thumb before spitting a nail out. There was a short pause on the other end before Newell growled low in his throat.

"This has to do with the Greys, doesn't it? And their whole Zephyra business? You have gall to call me about this situation. I am no longer responsible for any of those ingrates." He snarled. A sliver of anger rushed through me. He was part of this whole mess. If he hadn't of started up the rebellion in the first place, there wouldn't be a Zephyra out killing people. It was just another Frankenstein.

"Aw, come on," Hunter complained, "You know I hate doin' this, askin' for your help of all people."

"My heart bleeds for you." Newell replied with enough sarcasm to drown us in the car. I glared at Hunter impatiently and he waved me off, leaning against the window and eyeing the Zephyra headquarters.

"Listen, I'll tell you what. You come over here and you do me this favor... And I'll get you what you want."

"A Tiffany lamp? World domination? I don't think so."

"Not that, couillon," Hunter snapped, then paused as he glanced at me before looking away and speaking in a low voice, even though I could still hear him, "The witch you're hunting." There was an incredibly long silence on the other line, and for a second, I figured Newell had hung up on him when there was a frustrated sigh.