Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven (Peter)

Everything was slowly falling apart around me.

I mean, it was already kind of in shambles, but it was like a house that had caught on fire. The frame was still there, a few of the walls, some scorched tiles here and there. But now everything else was starting to disintegrate too. I had been trying so hard to keep it together these past few years, but it was just getting too hard.

I only had one person and that was Hunter, and even then, he didn't want me around.

He was so confusing.

One second he'd be doing anything to protect me. He made a phone schedule and switched cell phones every couple months. He gave me several fake IDs to use and let me have the other car our uncle had kept around in his car lot. He would even leave money and call me up to give me directions on where to pick it up. And I knew he followed me sometimes, just to make sure I wasn't being hunted.

But then there were the times when he'd hit me or make fun of me. In his eyes, I was still the obnoxious kid brother that needed to be disciplined. He didn't see me as an adult, as someone who could make his own choices without his big brother's help. I was defenseless and weak to him, even though he was the one that taught me everything I knew.

And when I showed up to make sure he was all right at the hospital, and he woke up when we were in the lair of the beast that killed our parents, he looked at me like he'd rather have woken up in hell with the Devil.

Hunter was on the edge with me. I already did things that pissed him off. And when he found out about Walter, I knew he'd been pushed to the brink of complete and utter hatred. If Walter turned, and I had sex with him, Hunter would stop calling me, stop leaving me money, stop being my brother, and he would hate me. He would never speak to me again. He would disown me completely.

And while Hunter pissed me off to the point where I wanted to abandon him first, I couldn't do it; I couldn't let him leave me.

Hunter was the only person I had left in the world. Our parents were dead. Our family was small to begin with and there was no one I knew of that I could depend on and trust.

Hunter was the only one who'd been there for me since our parents were killed. My heart clenched in my chest tightly as I remembered what he told me the night they were killed. The vampires had come in without even knocking, without stealth. They came in and butchered our parents right in front of us. Hunter had just stared, watching with an eerie, hollow glint in his eyes until I had started screaming and crying. He jumped into action and sprinted across the room, grabbing me into his arms and running for the door. We were both covered in blood, slipping and sliding on the floor.

"Peter, stop crying," Hunter had told me in a tone of voice I'd never heard him use before that time, "Stop it right now or you're going to end up like ma and da, you got me? Shut your mouth." His sudden change in personality had scared me so bad that I had done what he said and stopped crying, only hiccuping and sniffling. The vampires hadn't gone after us and remained behind in our living room to drink up whatever was left of our parents.

Hunter had carried me outside and set me down in our father's old pick-up truck. He did my seatbelt and made sure I was settled in. He was eerily calm about the whole thing. The doctors had said it was shock, but his instincts must have remained in tact to have saved me like that.

"Peter," Hunter had said, grabbing my face when I went to look back at our house, and I turned to look into his face and at his dark eyes, "You got me. You only got me now. Ya hear? Do you understand me, Peter?" I remembered trembling so badly that I swore the whole truck was shaking with me. I had almost pissed myself, but it was like my body didn't know whether to piss or scream or what. I had only managed a nod and Hunter seemed to relax, something that to this day still bewildered me.