Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Adam)

"Maybe we should turn them."

I barely managed to keep my cool when Julian said that. We were half an hour away from the Gothica Manor, heading toward Orion's location, a surprisingly small town in south west Michigan. We all split up into our respective vehicles, although, Seth had taken over Kyle's van and was wary about letting Kipp drive his car. Kyle also wasn't too fond on having Seth take off with his van, but he was bound and gagged and stuffed into the back seat of Peter's impala.

But back to what Julian was saying. How could he even suggest that?

I could see where he was coming from, of course. Seth, Kipp, Walter, Peter, Hunter. They were all humans. They could easily be killed in this mess if they weren't careful. And I was still angry with them for even agreeing to come with us. It was suicide, but they all seemed intent on going through with it.

But to turn them? Into halfbloods?

While I was grateful to Mr. Grey for saving my life and helping me save Julian's, I was still angry that I wasn't human. Being a vampire wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It'd been a year since I was turned and I still couldn't stand the thought of drinking anyone else's blood. It took me months to get used to just Julian's blood.

This wasn't a gift.

It was a curse.

And I could only imagine what Hunter's reaction to being turned would be. He wouldn't even tinker with words and probably just slam my head into a wall, and vampire or not, that shit was painful.

"No." I said at last. I didn't want to say anymore than that. Surely that one word would tell Julian exactly how I felt about his stupid idea. I didn't even want to get into an argument about this either. I hated fighting with Julian, but it seems like we'd been fighting more and more the past year. I hated the tension. I just wanted things to go back to the way they used to be... But it would never happen.

Much to my relief, Julian didn't say anything. He just slumped in his seat, looking down at his lap in defeat and it tugged at my heart strings. I didn't want Julian to think I was angry with him, but I was angry with the idea of turning our friends into vampires. They probably thought it was all bunnies and flowers and immortality and eternal beauty, but really? Living forever probably wasn't gonna be all that great, especially if shit like this kept happening.

We rode in silence for a while and Daimonas was sleeping between us, cuddled up in his heated blanket with his head resting on Julian's shoulder. We passed huge open fields that led to crowded forests of trees, a federal prison with warning signs not to pick up hitchhikers, a crowded city, and then more country. Julian decided to talk again after that.

"I mean, we should at least ask them, right?" He asked quietly. I frowned, tightening my grip on the wheel and I wanted to stay quiet to avoid an argument, but I couldn't help it.

"No, Julian. You know as well as I do that they won't be able to handle it. Have you seen the way Kipp eats?"

"He can still eat--"

"And won't get the satisfaction of feeling full and content. Hell, I tried eating a burger at Wendy's last week, and the taste isn't even the same anymore. It's bitter. Food doesn't taste as good as it used to."

"Well, no offense, Adam, but I rather them suffer tasteless food than death."

"I don't want to talk about this."

"We need to! We need to start planning. We need to make a plan for everything that could happen and their death--"

"Julian, are you even listening to yourself? First of all, Hunter will behead you on the spot if you suggest it to him, or his brother. You saw the way Peter reacted towards us. Asking him is out of the question. And Walter's suicidal. He doesn't care if he dies--"