Chapter Twenty Five

"Patrick," I managed to whisper out.

"Hello, Rae," he smiled. "May I have this dance?" Patrick offered his hand out for me and I looked nervously at it. "And I think we both know that I'm not going to take no for an answer." 

As promised, Patrick took my hand without waiting for my answer and pulled me out on the dance floor. I was in such a state of shock that I had no energy to fight. I was like a zombie, being mindlessly dragged to the dance floor. It was only when we reached the center of the floor, was I woken from my gaze, as Patrick placed his hand on my back and pulled me close to him. And when I did come to, the only thing I felt was unmistakable rage.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned, my eyes narrowing up at my dance partner. Patrick smiled at me like I wasn't even shooting him daggers, and continued to sway on the dance floor like it was just another normal day. I had no doubt in my mind that he was prepared for this exact reaction from me and had prepared accordingly.

"You look beautiful," he said. I rolled my eyes as he ignored my question, only smiling at me like a... something, I don't know Despite the stupid grin on his face, my heart still beat fast, and I was worried Patrick might be able to feel it at how close we were. I was certain that Patrick could feel my sweaty palms, and that made me even more angry. 

"Why are you here?" I repeated my question. 

"I delivered the cupcakes," Patrick shrugged. "But I'm guessing that you attempting to run out of here earlier was because you already figured that out." I didn't reply to his question, but Patrick chuckled. "I'm taking your silence as a yes."

"Well, you're certainly not dressed to just be delivering cupcakes," I snapped, eying his dress shirt and tie, and trying to ignore the fact at how horribly handsome he looked. "I'd say you were trying to crash."

"Don't you remember?" he laughed. "I promised I would go with you to this wedding, and I always keep my promises. To you at least. And besides, I'm not trying to crash. I've already successfully pulled it off." I rolled my eyes, yet again but per ususal, Patrick didn't take the hint.

Patrick continued to sway with me hold me tightly on the dance floor. I stared forward, past Patrick's shoulder, avoiding any and all eye contact with him. I didn't know what to do, with Patrick here. I couldn't even process anything, except for my anger. I was so annoyed at the fact that he was here, because it was just so typically Patrick. I should have known. Class Patrick Winters. Such a stubbron man, refusing to give up.

He followed me home that night at the Cove, coming back to my house. He practically forced me to drive home with him the day I locked my keys in my car. And that last day at the Bridge, he followed me outside when I came to fight Lance. I really should have seen this type of shit coming from Patrick. And he loved to be the knight in shining armor. And my knight of shining armor he was, even if not in the most traditional sense.

I pushed the thought from my mind. I would not let Patrick swoop in here like he was heaven sent and sweep me off my feet. Despite of what I felt, Patrick and I were doomed and I don't know what else could have happened in our short time together to make that point clear. I didn't live here anymore, and college was fast approaching regardless of any point he made.

"If you came here to win me over, you may as well give up now," I said, very nonchalant. 

"Am I that transparent?" Patrick laughed.

"Not usually," I replied, turning my nose up slightly. "You're usually much much harder to read. Have you gone soft on me?"

"Quite," he nodded. "When Josie left me, she practically made me in to a brick wall. When you left me, however, I practically became a bowl of melted ice cream." Patrick pulled my waist even closer to mine, which I effectively pushed off quickly. Patrick chuckled.