Chapter Four

At 9:15, I left for the Double L, effectively arriving at the loft fashionably late. I learned that Josh's parents owned the laser tag place, which explained why there was a hang out on the top and why we could just walk in to the laser tag arena. I climbed up the ladder and slowly came in to the loft.

“Rae!” they all said.

“Seriously, no offense, but that's kind of creepy,” I said, climbing all the way in. I regretted saying it, since it probably sounded pretty rude. But they all chuckled as it was apparently something they already knew.

“Yeah, it's kind of a habit,” Lance sighed. “We stopped for awhile, but when Josie started coming up here we started again. She really hated it but-”

“Lance. No Josie.” Everyone glanced back at Patrick, whom I just noticed, sitting on the couch playing some video game. He, again, didn't turn to acknowledge me or make any eye contact. Apparently Lance's scolding earlier didn't do anything to persuade Patrick to lighten up on me. And as confusing and unecessary as I found his behavior, the guy was consistent and I had to give him that.

“Awkward,” I mumbled. I looked up and smiled at the group. “It's fine, keep doing it. It's just... interesting.” I laughed a little. “But, it's a good conversation starter.” I went and sat down on a lounge chair next to Lyle and Raven.

“I see you've got tan lines already,” Raven commented. I glanced down at my shoulder, uncovered by my tank top.

“Ah, Jesus Christ!”I muttered. “One month of my life wasted.”

“Is that what you did at the beginning of June? Sun tanned?” Lance called out from across the room. I nodded. “That is some devotion. You and I are perfect for each other.” Lance pulled up his shirt sleeves and showed me his perfect tan.

“Well, my tan is not so great anymore, so I'm afraid we may not be as perfect for each other as you'd think,” I shrugged.

“That's alright, you still have me,” Chip commented.

“Chip!” Everyone shouted.

“Oh, so Lance can make comments but I can't?” Chip questioned, stuffing a Cool Ranch Dorito in his mouth.

“It's because you say it all the time, Chip. You're going to scare Rae away,” Raven explained.

“Don't pretend like all of you haven't put up with it,” Patrick said from the couch, still completely absorbed in his video games. Despite the lack of eye contact, I was still a little taken aback that he spoke in conversation. I looked around to see if anyone else was surprised, but it was really just me. “Chip hit on every single one of you in the beginning. Eventually the shiny new toy phase will ware off.” I'm wasn't sure if I should be insulted by this. People gave me nervous looks.

“So, Rae,” Meg said to me, “I hope you won't ditch us because of Chip. He's really not a bad guy.”

“No, he's fine, I don't mind,” I smiled. “Plus, I'd like to be on his good side, just in case I ever get hungry, he seems to have good taste in chips. He also seems to have a very good work out routine.” For eating chips non-stop Chip wasn't chubby, but very flat indeed. For a second I thought the worst that he might be bulimic or something.

“He coaches swim team,” Meg replied. That crushed that theory. “But, what you're really looking for is some nice arm muscles.” Meg flexed hers.

“Noddle arms. Sorry,” I shrugged.

“That can be easily changed.” I glanced across the room to Avery who was deep in conversation with Josh, who couldn't keep his eyes off her. I leaned in to Meg.