Chapter Six

Avery and Josh disappeared off on the beach halfway through the night and half the others passed out. We were all sleeping over at the loft, and some people were a tad drunk. I only had one drink because I was still too new to their group to become the drunk party girl. Lance was also awake and sat on the loveseat beside me. Patrick sat on the floor below us playing video games.

“So, Rae, about that date thing?” Lance asked. Patrick glanced back casually and returned to his game. I jumped a little bit at his approach. Last thing I remembered he was calling me a tease and storming out of the room. The blonde boy ran his fingers through his hair and shook it out. I could tell this was Lance's signature technique.

“Lance I'm sorry but, I'm still not going to say yes. I've only known you guys for a couple of days,” I explained. “I'm really sorry, Lance.” Dodged that bullet.

“Relax, Rae!” Lance laughed. “I was just kidding. I know a lost cause when I see one.” I don't think he was kidding.

“That wasn't funny, Lance,” Patrick said casually. “You're scaring Rae away.”

“It's not like you didn't do that yesterday,” Lance snorted. “I don't know if you've noticed, but you're no ball of fucking sunshine.”

“Yeah, well-” Patrick began. “Whatever.”

“Don't worry about it Rae,” Lance whispered. “I took a chance and you shot me down. I'm over it. Not sure he is though.” He pointed at Patrick who immediately turned around.

“Like I've said probably a million times, my hearing is awesome,” Patrick explained. I laughed and Lance gave me a look to which I shrugged.

“So Rae, what's your story?” Lance asked. “What brings you to Snow Beach?”

“Uh, well, it's complicated and I won't bore you with the real story, so I'll just cut to the chase. Divorce,” I replied.

“And you're gonna be a senior next year?” I nodded. “Excellent. So you'll be stuck with us for awhile. Any college plans?”

“Not at the moment, since I moved and all. I figure I've still got awhile until I have to think about it,” I explained.

“What about-”

“What is this, Lance, twenty questions?”Patrick snapped, turning around, glaring at Lance. I opened my mouth to speak, but I couldn't quite find the words. I was overall confused with the way Patrick was acting.

“I really don't mind, Patrick,” I finally manged to say. “Lance was just-” But I didn't get to finish my thought. The testosterone was already running through their bodies like a drug.

“What is your deal tonight, Patrick?” Lance shouted. I jumped and glanced at the sleeping bodies on the floor throughout the room who didn't even jostle at the sudden noise. Lance and Patrick jumped up and started yelling and pushing each other, I watched awkwardly from the couch, not exactly sure what to do. It was when Lance wound up his fist that I decided to do something.

“Stop!” I yelled, jumping between them. But, it was too late. Lance's fist was already in the process of going for Patrick's face. Fortunately enough, however, my face got in the way and I got a nice punch in the eye. I fell to the ground and covered my eye tightly, which really did nothing to make it feel better.

“Holy shit, Patrick, what did you do?” Lance yelled.

“What are you talking about what did I do?” Patrick shouted. They both fell to the ground next to me. “Are you alright, Rae? Lance go get some ice, you asshole.” Lance ran off to get ice and Patrick peeled my hand off my eyes to look at my injury.

“I'm fine. He barely got me, I'll be fine, I'm peachy” I said, putting my hand back over my eyes “Shit, that hurt! But I'm fine.” The light burned my eye and I just wanted to keep everything shut.

“Let me see it, please,” Patrick said. I rolled my eyes, well eye, and let him look at it. “It's a good thing I'm certified in first aid. This looks pretty life threatening.”

“Thanks for your diagnosis,” I laughed. “Now seriously, I'm fine. I probably won't even get a bruise. It'll just be red for awhile. I don't even get to look like a tough bitch.”

“Listen, I'm really sorry about Lance. He's being a douche bag and I-”

“I really don't mind,” I said. “You don't have to defend me either. I can handle myself. “

“I was just trying to be helpful,” Patrick defended. “Apparently chivalry isn't appreciated in wherever it is you came from.” I raised the eyebrow above my good eye. Patrick had flipped a switch from nursing me to health to the cold and bitter person I met the first day.

“No, I appreciate it, it's just that I- just forget it,” I shrugged. “Listen, I'm gonna go home.”

“It's two in the morning,” Patrick stated. “And you've been drinking.”

“I had one drink,” I corrected. “And I'm walking. I don't live that far from here. I'll be fine.” I walked over to the hatch, just as Lance was climbing up. I started to climb down and Lance gave me a look. I jumped down, but stopped walking away when I heard my name being mentioned upstairs.

“Where is Rae going?” Lance asked.

“Home. I think I pissed her off,” Patrick replied.

“It's two in the morning.”

“Yeah, I told her that,” Patrick sighed. “What do you think of her?”

“She's hot, for starters. And she's pretty cool. I like her. What about you?”

“She reminds me of Josie.” My jaw dropped and I stormed away. From the little I heard from Josie, she was a big bitch. In fact, I hadn't heard Josie's named mentioned without some form of bitch following shortly. So, thanks Patrick. You've effectively gotten me to hate you again. 

As I walked home, nursing my eyes the irony of the conversation I'd had with Patrick earlier struck me. I told him to go in swining, and how was I supposed to know the little shit would take that literally. I resisted the urge to kick a garbage can, only because I knew the pleasure it would give Dr. Klein as I choose to simply shout out enough expletives to fill a swear jar for the whole population of China.

Go in swinging. That's some major bullshit.