Chapter Seven

The next day, I started work at the B-SAC. Nothing exciting happened, no rescues or jumps, there were only about thirty people there. I was glad Patrick wasn't there today since I was still a little peeved from him indirectly calling me a bitch. Lance on the other hand was working with me and only one rotation behind me. So, when I got my half an hour break, Lance was there for the last fifteen minutes.

“Rae, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to punch you in the face. I am so so sorry,” Lance said after he immediately entered the room.

“It's fine,” I replied. “There's not even a bruise, see? I'm fine.” I focused on my blue popsicle, a necessity for every break, trying to tune out the neverending apologies.

“No, Rae, you don't understand. I punched you in the face. I don't hit girls!” I rolled my eyes and pulled out my lunch from the microwave. I sat down and started eating my popsicle, until I noticed Lance hovering over my shoulder. I turned around and tried to give him a kind smile, not sure how he would react to a bitch 'gtfo' kinda look.

“Listen, Lance. I am fine. I'm not angry and my face has healed very nicely. You don't have to feel guilty,” I explained, dropping my food and turning around to face Lance. His face showed no sign of letting anything go. “What do I have to do in order for you to believe me?”

“Let me take you out to dinner,” Lance stated. Slick, I thought. Right in to this god damn trap!

“Absolutely not!” I snapped.

“Come on, Rae. Please. I'm begging you. Just this once.”

“This is just your sneaky way of getting me to go out with you!” I accused.

“I would never,” Lance smirked before winking at me. It was flattering, but at the same time, his actions seemed off and not right. But, his face read that he wouldn't quit until I said yes. And my mom wansn't the greatest chef anyways so...

“Fine, if it gets you off my back.”

“Alright, I need to send someone home,” Jen said entering the room. “And unfortunately, Rae, since you're the newest, that's gotta be you.” Secretly wishing that she had arrived thirty seconds earlier I turned and looked at my boss.

“No problem,” I smiled. Jen left and I went to punch out my time card in the box in the corner. I beeped out and spun around to see Lance standing directly behind me. I jumped and tried to swerve around him, but he blocked my path.

“I'll pick you up tonight at eight. I know where your house is,” Lance winked. “I'll be taking you for the best burger in town!” Burger schmurger, how the hell did everyone know where my house was?

I hopped in my newly refurbished mustang and started the drive back home. I drove through the busy downtown of Snow Beach and past the regular tourists who are slowly becoming part of my regular life. I slow down past the cupcake store and quickly look inside. Patrick is there, obviously working. I had told him that I would stop by after work, but I didn't really have the nerve to see him yet. After the whole Lance and the date thing I figured... I shook him from my head, I didn't know the kid and he shouldn't be in my thoughts, positively OR negatively.

Anyways, I got home and went straight up to my room, kind of tired from my first day of work. The first thing I did was check my tan lines which were getting worse. The second thing I did was call my mom and tell her about my first day, and just being a good daughter. And then the third thing I did was check my email. And I had one new message from my father.

Rae,

Just because things between your mother and me didn't work out, doesn't mean we have to loser our relationship too. Don't let your mother hold you back from communicating with me. Despite what she says, I am a good person. We can still be friends. Tell your mother I would like to be in contact with her on terms of custody. I-

I couldn't believe what I was reading. My father was placing the blame on my mother and making her sound like the bad guy. I instantly clicked reply and let out about a year's worth of aggression at my father. Screw it Dr. Klein, I'm not counting backwards, I'm not taking deep breaths, I'm just going to get pissed.

Dear Heartless Bastard,

You are not my father. You betrayed me just as much as you did mom. My mother is not holding me back from talking to you, I am. I want nothing to do with you. Stay away from me, and I swear if you even try to get custody and I will make your life a living hell. Stay away from me. I'm changing my email today, so don't reply to this. I hope I never have to see your disgraceful face again.

I sent the email and slammed shut the computer. I was absolutely fuming with anger, and just wanted to punch someone or something. I wished Lance was there because he probably would have let me punch him back. But no, it was just me. I was pissed and I just wanted to scream. My father was an idiotic, annoying, and self centered. He had it coming.

Alright, so maybe my email was harsh, but he ambushed me. I wasn't prepared.

So, after I let out all my aggression, I changed and dressed for my date with Lance. I wore some white shorts and a tank top with a long silver necklace. I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV and waited. It was five and I had three hours to kill. I wasn't sure what to do. I hadn't spent much time without any of my friends lately, and I'd almost forgotten how to entertain myself. I guess that was a good thing. But, I still managed to find a fascinating show about civil war conspiracy theories to pass the time. Until someone knocked at my door, which always seemed to happen.

"Patrick?" I asked, opening the door. Patrick had his back to me, but I recognized his form immediately. Hearing my voice, Patrick turned and smiled at me. He held a box of cupcakes from the store in his hand and held them out to me. 

"I stopped by the B-SAC to give these to you, but they said you left early," he said. "They're an apology. For uh..." Patrick pointed to my eye and looked down at his feet.

"How do you know where I live?' I questioned taking the box of cupcakes from him.

"This is a small town," he shrugged.

"Not really," I mumbled, setting the cupcakes on the table next to the door. Seriously, I was gonna have to figure out this mystery eventually.

"I was also wondering if, uh, you wanted to go to dinner with me? Tonight?" The whole time, Patrick kept his eyes glued to his shoes. I raised an eyebrow waiting for him to look up at me, but he never did. His eyes, I imagined, where hiding the fact that this was all an elaborate joke that Ashton Kutcher would be following in on shortly. But, my gut told me that wasn't true, and Patrick for some reason, was just nervous.

"I can't actually. I have plans," I replied slowly. Patrick's face jumped up to me with hurt in his eyes. I was confused. I thought he thought I was a bitch, and here he was! Asking me on a date. The nerve...

"Oh, I see..." Patrick shoved his hands in his pockets and turned to walk from my door. Strangely, however, as I watched this nearly perfect stranger walk from my doorstep, my heart twinged. I ran to the shoerack and quickly slipped on a pair of flip flops.

"Patrick, wait!" I called out, chasing after him. Patrick quickly turned around as I charged after him. "I'm free for at least a couple hours."

A huge smiled beamed across Patrick's face as he linked my arm with his. 

"Let's go then. There's no time to waste."