Chapter Fifteen

"Go home Patrick," Chip groaned the next day at work, as Patrick walked in to the break room. Patrick was supposed to be working at the cupcake shop today, but he must have gotten off early. Patrick wrapped his arms around me in the chair and set a box of cupcakes in front of me.

"Are you purposly trying to fatten me up?" I laughed. 

"No, I just know you can't resist them," Patrick said with a smirk on his face.

"You could give me one," Chip shrugged. "But seriously we're all judging you for being here. Go home."

"I'm going right now, I just wanted to stop in and see Rae. I'll see you at the Double L after work?" Patrick asked, I smiled and nodded. We kissed quickly and he left the B-SAC. 

"When did that happen?" Chip asked curiously. "Last time I checked up on  you two, you were about to tear Patrick a new asshole and he was groveling at your feet."

"Well, what can I say?" I shrugged. Our boss walked in the room and informed me I was free to go due to low attendence. As the newbie, this was a common occurence, but I never protested. I was always more than happy to head home. So, I headed out and went back to my house. 

As I grabbed the mail back at my house, and shuffled through it, there was a letter written to me. Inside, I threw the rest of the mail on the counter and popped a squat on the couch, opening the letter. I had a strange inkling who this letter would be from, but I didn't let it stop me. I took a deep breath before opening the folded piece of paper, and then began reading.

Rae,

I understand you're upset and you are perfectly entitled to those feelings. But I am your father, and I will always be your father, and I will always love you, no matter how you feel. That being said, it would mean the world to me if you would e-mail me, or return my phone calls, or anything for that matter. I think it's very important that we talk. there are many things I need to talk to you about, and I hope to God you can give me time. 

Love forever,

Dad

I slowly put the letter down on the coffee table and crossed my arms. My eyes didn't leave the letter as my legs bounced quickly up and down, my mind reeling. Aside from the fact that my father had somehow managed to find out where we lived, I was relatively content with this. In the letter, my dad sounded sincere. It seemed like he wanted a fresh start, and he was right... he was my father. Besides that, my recent forgiveness of Patrick made me rethink my anger at dad. 

I pulled my phone out of the bag and once again started fiddling with Dr. Klein's number. I looked at my phone for a few minutes, not sure if this was really the road I wanted to follow. And then, finally, I said to myself, "Grow a pair of god damn balls, Rae, and call Dr. Klein." And with that, my phone dialed my second greatest enemy's number.

"Dr. Klein's office," the receptionist answered. 

"Hi, this is Rachael Petrov. I need to talk to Dr. Klein," I told the woman on the phone.

"I'm sorry, Dr. Klein is in session right now. Can I take a message?"

"Listen, just tell her it's Rae. She'll take my call," I said impatiently. My knees continued to bounce with anxiety as I looked around nervously. It almost felt like I was breaking a law by calling Dr. Klein.

"I'll see what I can do." The line went dead for a moment before obnoxious hold music came on.

"Rae? Are you home?" I looked back towards the garage door, as my mom walked in. I quickly got up from the couch and ran in to my room. I sat on the window seat in my room, looking out towards my road, waiting for the stupid music to leave my ear.