Chapter Twenty

Okay, maybe I wasn't going to kick his ass, but I was going to bitch him out. 

"And what in God's name do you think you're doing?" I shouted. Lance stood in front of me sheepishly in a dark alley way. He shuffled on his feet awkwardly as I stood in front of him, both hands on my hips, and the hip popped effectively to the side. When he would finally look up at me, he would know that I mean business.

"Fine, you're not going to talk, Lance?" I snapped. "I will kick you in the nuts, how stupid you're being!"

"It's not what it looks like," Lance said, finally speaking.

"Oh really?" I quipped. "So, you two aren't together as a personal vendetta against me and Patrick?"

"Okay, so maybe it's exactly what it looks like," he sighed. 

"And on his birthday? What kind of horseshit it that? You're supposed to be his friend!"

"I know, it's stupid!" Lance groaned. "But Josie, she's just so... soo.."

"So what?" I yelled. "Unless she's a fucking wizard or something, there is no logical word to come out of your mouth that I would actually buy. Literally, mind control is the only excuse I'm willing to accept and we both know that that is impossible."

"Rae, calm down." Arms wrapped around me tightly from behind, pulling me in to a tight embrace. I looked up and Patrick held me tightly. Instantly, I cooled off a little bit, but I was still fuming and waiting for an answer.

"Patrick, bro, I am so sorry," Lance said. 

"Lance, now that I've managed to calm Rae down a little bit, we would both enjoy an explanation," my boyfriend said with a stern authority. It was pretty sexy. Lance groaned and then sighed, pushing his shaggy blonde hair back with his eyes. He continued to shuffle around for a few moments, probably trying to figure out an explanation that wouldn't sound stupid.

"The night we went on our date, Rae, Josie came and talked to me," Lance explained. "After I picked Patrick up in Granton, that is. She wanted Patrick back. And I wanted Rae. So, we had an agreement We would be together to make you guys jealous."

"You barely even knew me!"I argued. 

"Rae," Patrick whispered in my ear.

"I don't get turned down very often," Lance continued. "At the time, I didn't know that you two were together. But by the time I did, Josie wouldn't let me out of this deal. And to be honest, I didn't want to be out of the deal. I watched Patrick at the Cove, and how much he hurt you Rae. He was horrible to you. He doesn't deserve you."

Me and Patrick both let his words sink in for a moment. Lance had been so nice, so understanding when we went out. But yet, here he was, willing to hurt his own friend just to make me jealous. I couldn't comprehend it. 

"You're the one who punched her in the face!" Patrick argued.

"I know!" Lance yelled. "Once I saw how happy you guys really were, I wanted out. I needed out. But Josie, she's just such a manipulative bitch! I didn't know she was coming tonight. I tried telling her to stay away, but she has her spies. I'm so sorry you two. Really. I wish I could take it all back.

"Rae, I'd like you to go inside please," Patrick requested. 

"But-" I turned around to protest.

"Please, Rae. I got ride of Josie already. I just want to talk to Lance alone." Patrick gazed down at me with stern eyes, and I nodded slowly. Patrick didn't ask much of me, and I knew he wouldn't ask much of me again soon. So, I gave one last dirty glance at Lance before I turned around and walked back inside.