Getting Over It

Sorry that I didn't get a chance to update on Friday like usual, but on the brightside, we won our game, 56-0. ANYWAY, thank you all again for the comments and votes, you don't know how much it means. So, here's the chapter. Tell me what you think, comment, vote, become a fan. You know, the usual. On with the reading!!!

~~~~~*~~~~~

 I drudged on with life; even though it was totally suck-ish now, no pun intended. I couldn’t even count the times that I had replayed what Damon said in my head. Yes, compared to him, I was a child but he didn’t need to be so awful and mean about it. When he said the words, you could hear the venom dripping out of every syllable. Just thinking about it made me want to drop to my knees and cry, but I wouldn’t… I would not let everyone know just how terrible I felt.

A month and a half after I had told him to leave so it was late March, I was standing in the hall way talking to one of my friends, and I felt someone kick my leg. I turned around, and Sara was standing right behind me, glaring.

  “Way. To. Go.” She said to me, now glaring.

  “What?” I growled at her. She leaned over me, clearly upset. “What did I do that was so awful, hmm?” I was purposefully trying to provoke her. I was in the mood to be yelling at someone. Sometimes, I just needed to take my anger out on someone else, even if they were a vampire that could kill me in seconds.

  She threw up her hands in frustration. “You left him.” She shrieked. “He’s, he’s on a killing rampage, torturing the victims and then draining them dry. He’s been drinking practically constantly. He’s a mess; how could you do that to him?” I had heard about plenty of missing people lately… one was a 10 year old girl.

  “How could I do that to him? He left me without a word, a note, there was nothing! And then when he comes back, he is a complete ass to me. I did what any rational person would do!” My voice was shaky with emotions.

  “He did what he did for you! He left to get answers! To try to get rid of William and kill him so he wouldn’t hurt you! Trust me when we were at the dance, all of us could tell what he wanted to do to us,” she shook her head “what he wanted to do to you! And now look at what you’ve done, you’ve created a monster!” Her eyes were violent and angry; unfortunately I couldn’t tell if they were towards me or the werewolf.

  ‘Oh yes, that was my entire fault. I was getting blamed for something that was already there in the first place.’ “He was always a monster; I just brought it out in him.” I walked away, blinking away the tears.

  I ran to the locker room and hid for a class period, not caring if I was in trouble or not. There wasn’t much worse than this, or so I thought. I did have a lot to think about though.

  ‘I should have listened to his reasoning that was my fault. How was I supposed to know he was doing something good though? It shouldn’t have been my job to ask, he should have told me. But I ruined him, and I hated thinking that. He didn’t have to be so mean to me though; he wasn’t mean, he was cruel. Damn him if he’s gone off the deep end, we all make decisions. Still, I hated myself more than I thought I could. I had to see him. Then again, he didn’t care enough if he saw me. It had been pining away at me for the last couple of weeks. It did kill me not seeing him, but I didn’t want to be the one to break down first. He was the one that said that terrible things though. He should have been the one to do it. I knew him to well though. But at this point, I didn't care. I drove to school that day because my mother had the day off, so I went straight to his house after class.

  I ran to the door, knocking briskly. There had been reports of missing people lately, but the thought never crossed my mind, well it did, but I pushed them away quickly. How could I have been so stupid not to even think about the outcome? Way to go Aera, I mentally slapped myself.

  Then again, why would he do that? What drives a person to go on a killing rampage… I didn’t need an answer to that one. He wasn’t a person, he was a creature – a monster. He couldn’t help it though, that was what he was. He didn’t have a choice well, he did-.’ I cut myself off of my mental rampage. I was getting absolutely nowhere with myself.

  Stefan answered the door. “Aera?” he looked puzzled. I could understand why though.

  Rain started to fall hard and fast from the sky above. “I need to see him.” I said, practically pleading, the wind stinging my face and the water soaking my hair and clothes.

  “No, I can’t let you; I don’t know what he will do. It’s too dangerous right now.” His eyes were warning me.

  “I don’t care. Just tell me where he is.” I looked up with him tears springing to my eyes.

  “He’s up in his room. Up the stairs, first room to the left. If you need anything well… I’ll hear it. Don’t say I didn’t warn you though.” I was already going up to the room.

  I smiled down at him as I was on the staircase. He mouthed ‘good luck’, and I went into the room Stefan directed me to.

  The room didn’t have anyone in it, so I called out “Damon?” I whispered, sounding sweet and caring.

  I jumped slightly. “What do you want?” he was in front of me. His eyes were- they weren’t his. They were distant and angry.

  I suddenly wanted to break down crying, the anger and emotion coming from him was ten times worse than what I felt earlier that day. “You need to stop killing people Damon.” I whispered to him gently.

  “Why? It’s what I am Aera. I’m meant to kill people. It’s who I am, deal with it. I did this when we were ‘together’.” He took a drink of the alcohol he had in his hand. He was close to me, we were face to face, and he smelt like death. “You did this to me.”

 “I know. This is all my fault.” I sobbed. “I’m sorry, I’m so, so sorry.” The angry expression on his face quickly faded away as I slowly started to break down. The tears quickly fell down my face and I couldn’t stop them. His fingers went to my face and wiped my tears away. I was losing faith in myself; I couldn’t stay strong anymore… every time I was with him I melted. I wasn’t myself anymore. I wrapped my arms around him tightly, living in his embrace. I never wanted him to let go.

  I sobbed into his chest, and I could feel him smoothing my hair. “Don’t leave me. Please don’t ever again.”

  He pulled me away from him for a second so we could look at one another. “I won’t again, I promise you that.” He kissed my forehead. I burrowed  in his arms as he once again pulled me into a tender embrace.