Explanations (2)

I open my eyes but immediately close them because there are bright lights in my face. It takes me a minute but my eyes finally adjust enough so I can see what's going on. I look around to find out where I am. It's a hospital. How the fuck did I get here? I can't afford to be here. I look at my arm and see I'm hooked to a machine and the pain in my head isn't as bad. I see that my hand is also bandaged. I sit up and start to feel dizzy but I ignore it because I have to get out of here.

"Hey, I don't think you should do that."

I look up and see USWNT goalkeeper, Hope Solo. What the fuck am I on? I just stare at her for a minute.

"Am I hallucinating?" I mumble.

"No," Hope laughs, "You ran into me when I was walking down the street. You didn't look so good so we brought you to the hospital."

"We?" I ask.

There's a small knock at the door. Hope says come in and Ashlyn Harris walks through the door along with a doctor.

"Hello, can you tell me your name?" The doctor asks.

"Rylee." I say.

"And can you tell me where you are?"

"A hospital."

"Well Rylee, the damage to the back of your head was minor. We cleaned it up and put some ointment on it for you. The cut on your hand was deep, we removed glass from the wound. Now to talk about the rest of the bruises on your body-"

"Wait! You examined my entire body?" I yell.

"Yes, one of the nurses saw the bruises so we did a full body examine." The doctor explains.

I sigh and lay back down. I am in deep shit.

"Okay, when can I go?" I ask.

"Rylee, we can't let you go because you're underage. Also we had to notify child protective services because we have reason to believe you're getting abused."

I put my hands over my face and just breathe. This cannot be happening. The doctor leaves and I move my hands. I forgot that Ashlyn and Hope were in the room.

"Well my name is Hope and this is Ashlyn." Hope says.

"I know, you're both keepers for the national team." I say.

"Well okay then." Ashlyn laughs.

"Listen, I know how hard this can be but I need you to be brave. If you want Ash and I can stay with you while you talk to the police." Hope suggests.

I don't know why but something is telling me to trust them. I just nod my head and Hope takes my hand. I smile and she smiles in return.