Secret Assassins [11]

“Will she hurry the fuck up!” Kristen seethed, glaring out the window.

I sighed as well. Renee was taking such a slow time at packing everything. We are being chased and she takes her sweet little time.

“I agree.” I said, sinking into my seat.

Kristen huffed and took out her phone. “My parents will not stop calling me. I’m about to block them.”

“I’m going to do the same.” I nodded, taking my phone out.

10 missed calls from my parents, 15 from Jason, and 7 from Jake. I ignored those and blocked them. A few tears fell as I did.

“Are you okay?” Kristen asked.

I wiped them away quickly. “I guess so. I’m going to have to be okay to get through this.”

“Same here.” She sighed. “I actually thought my parents loved me. Ya know? Turns out, their killers too! I mean, what the freaking hell?!”

I nodded, understanding completely. “I’m sorry you had to find out Kristen.”

“No, it’s not your fault. It’s good I did find out. Now I don’t have to be lied too and die at an early age.”

Suddenly, I heard Renee screaming like a wild woman. She ran down her porch steps, looking side to side, and ran to the car.

“Why are you screaming?” I asked as she shoved her bags in the trunk.

“No reason. I was just pretending the killers were behind me so I could move faster.” She giggled.

Kristen and I chuckled too. No matter how bad the situation is, she makes us laugh from her stupidity.

“Renee, were you dropped when you were born? Like, for real.” Kristen asked, smiling.

“No!” Renee cried.

“Let’s just hurry and leave.” I commented and Renee got into the drivers seat again.

“Where we going?” She asked, starting the car.

“How does… New York sound?” I asked.

“New York?” They both replied, a little stunned.

“Yeah.” I shrugged. “Renee, how much cash you have?”

“Enough for us to last for a pretty good while. I’ve been saving since I was a kid for an emergency.”

“I have money too.” Kristen said, holding up her purse. “I grabbed it just in case something happened.”

“Then we won’t have a problem with that. It’ll be a long drive, but no one will ever find us.”

“Sounds good.” Renee said, finally pulling out of her driveway. “We get to start all over. That’s kind of exciting!”

“We are teenagers running away.” Kristen glared at Renee. “I loved my mom and dad.”

“Sorry, to soon.” She cleared her throat.

“It’s okay. Sorry I got an attitude.” Kristen said softly. “It’s just… hard.”

I looked over at her and noticed she was crying silently. Her hands were balled into fist tightly against her face. So many tears were running down her face and I was sure she was going to get sick. I’ve never seen Kristen cry so hard and so much. It saddened me that it made a few tears escaped from my eyes as well.

“Kristen…” I sighed, patting her back. “I swear to you, things will get better. No matter how many obstacles we run into, we’re here for you. We’re family.”