Chapter Forty-One

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Darren's POV

"Are you sure you haven't seen them?" Zane asked me for about the millionth time.

I sighed, wishing he would just shut up, "Absolutely positive. Man, I told you already. I've got no clue where they are."

I really hoped he couldn't tell I was lying. Zane was pretty gullible, but I wasn't going to underestimate him here. 

He opened his mouth to speak, and I sucked in a silent breath.

"Alright. I guess we'll just have to find them. But first, let's get Van, Ned, and the boys. They can help."

I tried to hide the relief from showing on my face.

"Great. Let's go."

Zane grabbed Jim, and we started walking towards the elevators. I felt a sudden poke on my shoulder and opened my mouth to scream. A hand flew over my mouth to stop me.

"Relax, Darren," a voice whispered into my ear. "Just keep walking so they don't notice me."

The hand fell away from my mouth, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Jeez, Carson, you scared me," I breathed.

"Hmm...my bucket list. Number One: Scare Darren. Check!"

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"Number Two: Get Darren to smile and roll his eyes at the same time. Check!"

I narrowed my eyes and scowled at him.

He grinned, "Alright, alright. I'll stop. You're almost to the elevators anyways. But, listen. Get to Van and Ned, okay? Take some time, though. I'm going to be getting Jay and the rest out while you're doing that."

I nodded.

"Good. After you've got them, find a way to get everyone to the entrance...except Vanessa. Tell her about Paul. I have a feeling she'll go to where he is."

I nodded again, "Tell Van about Paul, and everyone else to the entrance. Got it."

Carson bit his lip, and I could tell he was struggling to keep the pain off of his face. Once again, his strength amazed me. My thoughts were cut off, however, when Carson spoke again.

"I have...a few things I need to work out with her. But, here. Take this."

He handed me a cell phone, and told me to text him when Van was headed Paul's way. He said that we would work out a meeting spot after that.

"Okay, thanks!" I whispered to him as he dashed silently away.

I turned back around to Jim and Zane. They were chattering away, obviously unaware that Carson and I had just worked out a whole escape plan.

They really are stupid, aren't they. Boy, am I glad I'm not with them anymore.

I looked up ahead. The elevators were only a few feet away. Zane and Jim were still talking. I stopped before the doors, but they just kept on walking.

Oh, goodness, this is going to be hilarious!

Sure enough, they walked right into the elevators. I doubled over in laughter, the sound echoing throughout the empty floor.

"What the Hölle, LS?" Zane shouted, rubbing his head.

Okay, that's taking it a bit too far! What did Zane being stupid and running into the elevator have to do with Carson?