Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

Jay's POV

They were back. After five years, they had returned. Funny, because Rob had come back only yesterday.

I don't know how long it took us to reach Chloe's house. I don't know if those men even followed us. I don't really know anything other than the fact that my life had completely changed within a three-day time span. Such a short time, yet so much had happened. Hölle, just about everything noteworthy in my life had happened in the past few days.

"Nobody is home," Chloe commented. "They're probably at Logan's baseball game."

I wondered who Logan was. Chloe answered my question a few seconds later.

Mind reader.

"He's my six-year-old little brother," she explained.

"Cool," I said.

I wish I had siblings. I wish I had a family. I wish I could go home, see that nobody was there, and assume they were off doing something together. But, that was not the case. I go "home" every day, see that nobody is there, and know that no family was there for me.

We entered Chloe's house, went up to her room, and sat down. I decided it was time for me to explain everything to her. I started with the day I had met Rob. I told her all about my first encounter with the black-suited men. I told her about the death of Rob's dad, about how we had run away, about how he had vowed to get revenge.

"Rob. Is that the guy who was trying to kill you yesterday?" she asked.

"Yeah, that was him," I answered.

"Jay, I don't think you should leave. It's not safe for you to be alone out there with FBI-looking creepy dudes trying to find you, and a psycho killer hunting you."

I couldn't. I just couldn't. It would be too much to ask of them. They were risking their lives already just being with me. If those guys ever found me here, Chloe and her family would be dead in an instant.

"Chloe, I can't. I don't want you to-"

She cut me off, "I know what I'm risking here, and I accept it. I'm not going to let anything separate us, Jay, even if it means death."

"But-" I tried one last plea.

"No buts. You're staying with us."

I was a little pissed at first, but then I realized something.

I like her stubbornness.

~~~~~

Chloe's POV

Mom, Dad, and Logan returned about thirty minutes later. I had a private conversation with my mother. I told her everything that had happened. I didn't want to tell my dad, yet. He didn't even know about Jay. It was easy to persuade him into believing something else, though. My mom had, like, a million relatives that came over all the time. So, we just told him that Jay was her nephew, come for a visit to his dear aunt.

Logan was very interested with Jay. He had never had a brother, and I had never had a boyfriend. He went up to him, and started telling him all about himself. Once, when Logan had gone upstairs to go get one of his little toy cars, Jay looked over at me and winked. I giggled. I think he was enjoying my little brother.

A knock came from the front door.

Jay, my mother, and I all froze. I could see Jay trembling with fright. I knew there were only two options of people it could be. Rob or the black-suit guys. Neither one meant well. I silently prayed in my head that I would manage to survive.

My father rushed to answer the knock.

"Why do you guys seem so freaked out?"

He turned the knob, and yanked open the door.

*****

Hello, everybody! Sorry about the cliffhanger, but it was necessary. Don't worry, the next chapter will be up soon! All it takes is a click to vote! Please do! :) :P :D