Chapter Twenty-Two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Jay's POV

Germany. Great place, really. I know I loved it. It was even cooler, due to the fact I knew some of the language. It could of been better still, had we not been there because we had to free my dad from creeps that wanted to take over the world.

I made a mental note to try and revisit the country, if I came out of all this alive. There was, after all, a highly likely chance I could be killed within the next few days. Wonderful, isn't it. Just to think, a few days ago, I was the loner everybody passed by. The guy no one cared about. Now, I was somebody. Only, I didn't quite know who exactly I was.

I didn't know which one to prefer. Did I want to be a nobody? Or a somebody who didn't know anything about themselves? Did I want to be the orphan? Or did I want to be the guy with a mysterious dad who left them? Did I want an unexciting life? Or a life of danger? Did I want to watch the show? Or be an actor? Just too many decisions!

I rolled over in the bed. Once again, sleep wouldn't come. I got up and walked out of the room. I slipped to the window, unlatched it, and slid out.

The cool breeze of the night hit me with a relaxing calmness. I breathed deeply, enjoying the quietness in the air. It soothed my mind. I looked up at the sky. The stars twinkled above me. I remembered all the nights I had spent in the woods, looking up at the same sky. Yet, it seemed so different now.

I heard a rustling. It startled me, and I swiveled my head back to the window. Who would be up at this time?

Surprisingly, it was Kent. Who would've thought he would show up now?

"Why are you here?" I asked him, wishing to be alone again.

"I could ask you the same," he replied.

Though it was dark, I could see the grin on his face. I groaned. He laughed.

"I knew you would be out here. And, I thought you might want to talk," he said, seriously this time.

"About what?"

I mean, really, what was there to talk about? He knew pretty much everything about me. Probably more than even I did. Apparently, he couldn't tell me about my father either.

"Life," he shrugged. "I've noticed something going on with you and that Chloe girl."

So, he wanted to talk about my personal stuff? My relationship status with Chloe? This was going to be an awkward conversation. I didn't reply. What was there to say? Kent nudged me in the shoulder.

"C'mon, man. I know y'all have got something going on."

"Yeah. So what?"

"Just wondering, that's all," he said. "You know, I've got a girl, too."

Now, this was interesting. Why, I didn't know. But, it was interesting.

"Really?"

He grinned, "Yeah, she's in Tennessee with my kids. Got a little girl, four, and a boy who's ten."

Wait, he has kids?

"They're good kids. I wish I could see them more often. I fee like a terrible father, only dropping in once in a while, when the WIO isn't jacking everything up. Sometimes I wonder how they feel about it," he talked as if in another world.

Oh, so now he's talking about how bad of a father he is. Well, I'm pretty sure he gets to see his kids a lot more than my dad got to see me.

"Yeah," I muttered. "Tell me about it."

I got up and crawled toward the window again. I was done with this.

Kent cursed under his breath.

"Hey, I'm sorry, Jay. I didn't mean..."

I held up my hands. I'd had enough. He had taken it too far.

I walked back to my room and lay down. I ran my hands through my hair. Why did everything have to be so complicated? Why couldn't I just be normal?

Because you're meant for more.

~~~~~

Kent's POV

Why'd you have to screw everything up again? That's all you ever do.

I watched Jay climb back inside. Why'd I have to go on about my family? Me and my stupid mouth.

My phone buzzed. I grabbed it out of my pocket. It was a text from a number I didn't know. Reading the message, though I understood.

He's gone. Tell me if you find him. The kid has me worried sick. Still here. Planning a big party. Hope everybody's going to be able to come. It's going to be soon, but I don't know all the details yet. Tell you ASAP.

I shook my head at his words. They sounded so casual. HIM and his ability to make everything sound normal.

Looked like he had found a phone somehow. That was a definite plus. I hurriedly typed a reply.

I've got him. Don't worry, he's fine. Sounds like a fun party. I'll tell all his friends. They'll be so excited!

Hey, that was pretty good. Usually, I gave away a lot more than that. A message came in quick.

Good. Got to go now. Probably won't be able to talk for a while. See you soon!

I shoved the phone back into my pocket. With a shiver, I realized the temperature had dropped quite a bit. I climbed back inside. My body welcomed the warmth. I slipped to Jay's room. I had to check on him, make sure he was okay.

Silently, I cracked open the door. Looking to the bed, I saw it was empty. The whole room was empty. I flipped on the lights. No Jay.

Crap!

*****

Hey! And, that would be twenty-two chapters completed! Yay! I can't believe how much progress I've made with this story. Please vote if you are enjoying the story! Thank y'all! :) :P :D