Chapter Thirty-Nine

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Chloe's POV

I don't know how long it took us to finally recover. We had been laughing our heads off at the gummy bear bag. I mean, gummy bears? In a medicine room? I'm starting to wonder...

"Wh-where did you f-find th-them?" Jay managed to get through in between laughs.

"The "E" s-section"

Apparently that was funny, for everyone burst into another fit. I, for some reason, was laughing, too.

"Carson," Jay dragged out his name. "Do you know why there are gummy bears here?"

Carson laughed, shaking his head.

"No clue. I thought they only had immunosuppression stashed in this place."

I had no idea what he was talking about. Jay started howling.

"I-I-I-OOOOHHH HAAVVEE WOOOOOOOLF DISEEEEAAASSSEEEE."

I was starting to think something was wrong with him.

"You sure we don't need to get you on some meds, too?"

Jay pouted, but stopped his obnoxious howling. Finally. I had no clue what this "wolf disease" was, but if it involved people howling like Jay did...I feel for the poor souls who have to listen to it. Jay's howling sounded just about as wolf-like as a monkey.

"So, can we take the gummy bears?" Jay asked.

I rolled my eyes, "You sound like a two-year-old."

"And?"

"Your crazy."

"And?"

I couldn't help but smile, "Ich liebe dich."

Jay smiled his adorably cute smile.

"So that means we get the gummy bears?"

I groaned.

"I guess that's a yes."

I sighed, holding out the bag for him to take, "Whatever."

"Yay!"

I shook my head at Jay, then looked around to see where Carson and Darren were. It appeared as if they were in a deep conversation. I smiled. Darren needed Carson's words. Not only that, but Carson needed them, too.

"Of course you are, Darren," I heard Carson say. "Everyone's afraid of change, no matter ho many times they deny it. But, it's not the fear that matters, Darren. It's the ability to push through it, the ability to bite your lip, hold in the tears, and keep going even though it's defying everything you know."

"So, it's okay to be scared?" Darren asked.

Carson nodded, a soft smile on his lips, "I was scared."

Darren frowned, "You were?"

Carson smiled again, "I didn't know what would happen. You see, Jay and I met in an...interesting way."

"Can you tell me about it?"

"Okay, well, I had gone to Germany, right..."

Carson told Darren all about his first encounter with my boyfriend.

"...I was terrified. You see, I wasn't sure about the FFO. I mean, they were really nice people and all, but it was a dramatic change for me, and I wasn't sure if I was ready. But, hey, look at me now."