Unexpected

“Hey Sean, is Liam inside?” I asked Sean who was fixing his car while gesturing to the house.

“Oh hey Liz, yeah, he’s inside. He’s just watching the game on TV.” Sean grinned at me.

“Thanks. So how are you and your girlfriend going?” I asked, making small talk.

“Just good, she’s still a bitch to me…she still calls me a bitch but I’m her bitch.” Sean said with dreamy eyes.

“Awe, that’s so cute! Good for you then.” I smiled.

“Well, I know it’s Liam you want to talk to so feel free to leave me here.” Sean chuckled.

I giggled. “You know me so well, little brother.”

Then I went inside to find Liam sitting on the couch, watching the game. He was moping, yes; the great Liam Court was moping. I looked worriedly at him and plopped down on the couch.

“What’s wrong, bad boy?” I asked, wrapping my arms around him.

“Nothing.”

“Oh shut up, I’m doing my best to comfort you.” I rolled my eyes at him.

“Well, it’s not working.” He said as he continued sulking.

“I don’t care. You should feel glad that I’m comforting you, dope-head.” I snickered.

“You’re mean.” Liam pouted.

I scoffed. “What, a bad boy can’t handle a mean girl now?”

“Nah, I’m just stating it.” Liam almost smiled.

“But seriously, what’s wrong with you?” I asked.

“Just not in the mood, that’s all.” He smiled.

“Are you sure it’s not something serious?” I started worrying.

“Yup.” Liam said, popping the ‘p’.

I nodded my head, believing him. Well, there’s really no reason for Liam to feel upset. As far as I know, he’s still at the top of the class even though he’s been pegged as the bad boy. Financially speaking, I think they were doing just fine. Mia had not mentioned any financial problem. If Liam was dealing with any problem, it must have been with me since my grandma strongly hates him.

I shrugged the issue off, thinking Liam was just having an off-day.

We snuggled in the couch though I wasn’t really interested in watching the game. Liam felt better. I was contented. Who would have thought that snuggling would content me? I’m Lizzie Carter, for goodness’s sake. Snuggling never contented me before; shopping did. Who doesn’t love shoes and dresses? My dad could leave me in a boutique and I wouldn’t come home for a year. That’s how much I love shopping. But Liam made me realize that there’s more to life than material things. I never thought I could be this happy before. I found love in Liam. I found a family. Sure, my dad loves me to death and so does Sue. But they were rarely at home. Liam’s Mom, Sean, Mia, Eric, Ella and of course, Liam, they accepted me with warmth and that’s the best thing that ever happened to me. I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world, even for a Louis Vuitton bag.

Just then, my phone rung; I answered it.

“Hello? This is Lizzie speaking.”

“Elizabeth, it’s me.”

Her tone didn’t sit well with me. I knew something was wrong.

“What happened?” I asked, getting nervous.