Meet The Grandparents

“Hey Lizzie, can I talk to you for a sec?” Mia asked as she got inside my room.

“Oh sure.” I replied, sitting up on my bed. “What’s up?” I asked, patting my bed, indicating her to sit on it. She walked to my bed and sat, facing me.

“Uh well, since you don’t have classes on Monday, can I go visit my grandparents? I’ll be back on Monday night.”

 It was Thursday night. Since I didn’t have classes on Monday since it’s our school’s anniversary, I decided to allow Mia.

“Sure. When are you going?”

“Tomorrow afternoon. It’s three hours away from here. It’s lovely there, the farm life is awesome.”

I nodded my head. “Are you going to bring Mark with you?” I wiggled my eyebrows.

She flushed. “Uh, I think so. He wants to meet my grandparents.” She admitted.

I smiled. “So it’s getting serious between you two huh?”

She nodded. “Honestly Lizzie, I can’t imagine myself being with someone else years from now. I know this sounds really cheesy but I see myself growing old with him. You know, having kids then grandkids.”

“So you love him?”

“Oh Lizzie, I love him so much! He’s my life. I think you’d know that you really love the person when you see yourself spending your lifetime with him…when you’d rather be in hell with him than be in heaven alone.”

I smiled watching her eyes sparkle while talking about Mark. A question popped into my head.

“Is Liam going with you?”

“Of course, he always does. He adores our grandma very much.”

I nodded, having that sinking feeling when I found out he didn’t invite me to meet his grandparents. Mia must have caught on what I was thinking about.

“Lizzie, maybe my brother has a reason why he didn’t ask you to come with him. You know Liam’s not that type of person.” She reasoned.

I gave her a little smile, feeling a little better. Maybe Liam really had a reason why he didn’t want me to come. Besides, Liam wasn’t that type of person. But still, deep inside, I was a little hurt that he didn’t even think of asking me to come with him. I mean, I’m not sure I’ll enjoy it because from Mia’s stories since I was little, I knew that her grandparents are living in a farm and they hate rich people because they think rich kids are snobs and brats. They also work hard in the farm and they expect everyone to do the same. But I was more than willing to go. I wanted to meet everyone special in Liam’s life.

The next day, I kept on dropping hints to Liam that I wanted to meet his grandparents. Yeah, I really sounded pathetic while doing that.

“So, Mia told me that you’re going to your grandparents this weekend.” I started as we walked to the cafeteria; he was holding my books for me. How sweet.

“Uh-huh.” He gave me a little nod.

“So what are they like?”

“Nice.”

“Have they met some of your friends like Sean, Ella and Eric?” I asked again.

“No. why would I introduce them to my grandparents?” he asked me like I lost my mind.

“Well, you know because they are SPECIAL to you.” I said, emphasizing the word ‘special’.

“Just because they’re special doesn’t mean they have to meet my family.”