Oh Granny

“Lizzie, wake up!”

“Hmm…”

“Lizzie, please do wake up.” two hands shook my shoulders to wake me up.

I groaned. “Not now.” I spoke with my one eye open.

“Lizzie, you got to see this!” Mia exclaimed.

This got my attention so as much as I hated it; I sat up and opened my eyes.

“See what?” I asked.

“Wait here.” Mia told me as she walked to the table near my bed, getting something.

“This better be good, Mia. You know I hate waking up so early.” I retorted.

Mia walked to me, holding out a newspaper. I stared at it blankly.

“You woke me up for that?” I gasped.

“Yes, Lizzie. Get it. Look at what’s in the headlines.” Mia said in serious tone.

Right then, I knew it was something more than serious because Mia rarely speaks like that. So it must be something she knew would trouble me. I got more nervous as I snatched the newspaper from her hands.

I read the headlines:

Lizzie Carter is dating a gangster?!

I read the article about me.

Apparently, the heiress of every Carter business, Lizzie Carter, is not that much of a good girl. A source close to Lizzie confirmed that she is indeed dating a boy named Liam Cooper. The source also mentioned Liam’s bad reputation in the small town where he lives in.

I stopped reading.

“What the hell is this?!” I exclaimed.

Mia just looked at me. “It’s all over the news, Lizzie. It’s in the newspapers and TV reports.”

“But…but…the content is a lie!”

“You know that, I know that, everyone who knows the both of you knows that. But you know what media can do. They can fabricate a story to make the public more interested.” Mia sighed.

“Oh no, grandma surely heard of this by now.” I groaned.

Just then, my phone rung. Mia and I looked at each other with much knowing who was calling. I hesitantly picked up my phone to answer.

“Hello?” I spoke nervously.

“I’m sure you were expecting my call.” Grandma said.

“Yes, kinda.”

“It’s all over the news! This is so embarrassing!” she exclaimed.

“We’re not even doing anything wrong! We’re just dating.”

“What do you know about that? You’re too young, Elizabeth. If you really wanted to date, you should have told me. I got a lot of friends who—“

“Oh please, I don’t want to date some spoiled boys who can’t even leave their family’s shadow.”

“So you chose to date that good for nothing boy? This is a disgrace!”

“No, it’s not! And if it is, I don’t care!”

“What were you thinking, Elizabeth Jane Carter?!” she roared.

“Grandma, you don’t know Liam!” I defended.

“I don’t have to know him. I did a background check on him. Correct me if I’m wrong but he was included in this group that sells drugs and he stopped going to school for a year.” She said smugly. I could almost hear her snickering.