A smile worth a hundred bruises.

*prompt from @wombatspud*

*Childlike Connor*

Troye's POV

It was a normal day, a boring eight hours that seemed to drag, as I slumped in my seat. School in general was a place that I didn't associate with happiness, but as the minutes ticked by, it didn't seem so bad.

It was approaching lunch time. I had been ravenous since second period, and my knee bounced against the desk, my eyes concentrating on the hand of the clock.

As soon as the bell rang, I was out of my seat, grabbing Tyler's sleeve as we began to rush for the hall. We had just stormed out of calculus, and we were on our way to meet our friends.

We had a large friend group, made up of the likes of Dan, phil, Zoe, Alfie, Hannah, Ingrid, Ricky, Korey and of course Connor. Connor and I had been dating for around ten months, and we had grown to the point of love as we called it. We were completely inseparable, and part of me was rushing to lunch, just so I could see his face.

As we dashed through the halls, I felt Tyler ground to a halt, pulling my arm back, just beside the lockers. I frowned in confusion, but waited to question him as I saw Zoe running towards us.

"Zo? What's wrong?" I asked, grabbing her shoulders in a bid to calm her down. She looked anxious, fidgeting against my touch. She shook her head away from my comfort and grabbed my hand, pulling me in another direction.

"It's Connor, it's happening again!" She fretted, pulling both of us through the lunch crowd as Tyler followed.

"Some boys were teasing him, they pushed him on the floor, I tried my best but I can't stop it Troye, I c-can't stop-" she began to sniffle, her voice wavering as she thought of her friend.

Connor had been teased for years. His disability that rendered him childlike, made him different to the rest of us, more innocent, less aware of what was going on.

He was an easy target I suppose, because he just wouldn't fight back.

He didn't know how.

My blood was boiling. I stormed through the crowds forming, rushing up to the boy that had my boyfriend in his grasp.

Connor was crying, his hands shakily covering his eyes, as his pink shirt was scrunched in the hands of Cameron Dallas.

"What are you gonna do about it kid? You gonna cry? I'll make you cry you-"

"GET OFF HIM!" I screamed, watching as the crowd fell silent. Cameron smirked, dropping Connor to the ground of the cafeteria. I watched as Zoe scooped him into her arms, anxiously watching as the bullies approached me.

"What are you going to do about it Mellet?" He chuckled, eyeing my stickily figure with his beady eyes, smirking as he saw the anger in my expression.

I gulped as he towered over me, overpowering and demeaning as he spat his venom in my face. I could feel myself shaking with adrenalin, and I took a deep breath.

"Why are you going to help that whiny little piece of crap you call your boyfriend? He's got the mental age of a five year old? What are you? Sick or something?" He was stronger than me, but in that moment, I felt as if I had enough strength to kill a man.

I took one last look at Connor, the fragile freshman who was quaking on the floor, and my heart sped up, out of pure fury.

I felt enraged, my hostile mood  exasperated by the thought of my loved one, upset and defenceless. My need to protect him clouded my thoughts and I suddenly became wrathful, my limbs angrily shaking.

Cameron was suddenly my target, suddenly unaware as my fist flew for his jaw, hitting him hard enough to send him sliding into the tables.

My vision was blurred, the gasps from the crowd around me blocked by the sheer red that savaged my head.

I pulled my fist up slowly, my eyes widening at the swollen red knuckles, raw and bleeding from the force of impact. I didn't even register the crowd forming around Cameron, who seemed to be violently whimpering.

"Y-you'll p-pay f-for t-that Mellet." He sobbed, wiping his weak and dirty red tears.

"You touch my boyfriend again you Monster, and you'll do more than pay, you heartless bastard." I spat, harshly kicking the side of his leg.

I had never been violent in my entire life. But suddenly, I felt liberated, a wave of overwhelming adrenalin present as I finally stood up to the school bully.

Even I was surprised.

Zoe had removed Connor, the scene too distressing for him to watch. I followed Tyler into the library where she was soothing him, tending to a few of the bruises that Cameron and his group of idiots had caused.

"K-koala!" He sobbed, his arms stretching out for me as he sat on a beanbag, crying as Zoe tried to calm him.

"Baby boy, come here, I'm here." I took him in my arms, stroking back his hair as he quaked in my grip. He was hurt badly this time. His lip red and swollen from where he had been hit.

"It hurts Tro, it's ouchy." He whimpered, touching the area with his finger. I took his hand gently, pulling it away so he wouldn't do any damage, before pecking him slightly to make him feel better.

"I know darling, but it won't happen again, I promise okay?" I watched as he nodded, grasping the teddy bear that Tyler had given him from his bag. We used it to calm him down, so he hugged it tightly, his tears falling onto the stuffed kittens ear, that he had previously chewed.

"Have t-the bad g-guys g-gone?" He whispered hopefully, his eyes wide and innocent, beautiful nevertheless.

"Yes. And I will never let them hurt you again." I promised, earning a grin from my friends, as I nursed my injured hand. I smiled down at the hope in Connor's eyes, and as he hugged me, I knew it was worth it.

"I love you Troye." He beamed, placing a sloppy kiss on my neck. "My hero." He giggled.

And from that day on I knew I would always save him, because to see him smile was worth a hundred bruises.

A/N

I didn't do this justice I know. It's pretty shit. I know. I'm not feeling too great, I'm sorry.

*not edited*

Becca xx