A grazed heart as lovers part (2)

Troyes POV

His lips looked so delicate, fragile, as he laid sound asleep against my chest.

It was 4:00am, but I was wide awake, my eyes focused on nothing but his soft breathing patterns, and the way his fallen quiff curled around the side of his head.

Connor was completely out of it. He was utterly exhausted from the long flight and our emotional encounter. He had fallen asleep in my arms, his small sniffles fading as he drifted into dream land.

"No, please stop, NO!" my grip on Connor's torso all of a sudden tightened, my presence hopefully grounding him back down to earth. He had screamed out a few times, his eyes scrunching, as he dreamed painful thoughts. I could only watch, cupping his face and stroking his hair to calm him down. But I was still worried.

Was the war that bad?

Come to think of it, Connor had seized to tell me why he had returned, my knowledge of events no more than the fact that one day I was alone, drowning in my own misery, the next he was on our doorstep, proposing, hugging me, being there again.

So I didn't care. I didn't care why he came back, why he was distant about it. All I cared about was the fact that he was here, in my arms, back where he belonged.

Surely there was nothing to worry about?

-Morning-

"Good morning sweetheart, I made you some coffee!" I smiled, placing the steaming mug on his bedside. "Baby, are you going to wake up?" I chuckled, running my hands through his mousy brown hair. He snuggled further into the covers, humming in response, as I took a seat next to him.

"In a minute Tro." He replied, his face almost blank as he opened his eyes. There was something about him, something that wasn't quite right.

I got up, and placed a kiss on his forehead, before walking back through to our kitchen, still studying the golden ring, circling my finger. I smiled thinking about the proposal, how he could be so romantic. That's why I loved him.

After waiting more than 20 minutes, I had begun to get restless.

Where was he? Why wasn't he up yet?

I understood he was tired, exhausted after everything he had been through, but I was feeling selfish okay? I wanted to cuddle him, hear his voice every five minutes. I needed to remind myself he was actually home, for I would go insane if not, telling myself that it wasn't real.

"Connor?" I hollered. "Connor babe, come and get some breakfast!"

After no response, I pushed myself off the sofa; walking towards the bathroom, as I saw the light shining from the crack of the door.

"Con, are you in here?" I questioned, my eyes widening as I watched him, staring at himself intensely in the mirror. His hands looked like they were shaking, his eyes clearly bloodshot.

"Honey are you okay?" I pestered, putting a hand on his back.

"Hmm?" He suddenly shook his head, turning to face me as he wiped his eyes. He was almost in a trance before, his pupils dilated, completely focused on his trembling figure.

I wasn't sure what was going on, so I grabbed both of his hands, massaging his palms with my fingers.

"Why are you crying Con?" I said, watching his every move, as he bit the inside of his gum, his gaze now on the floor. "What's wrong?" I soothed.

"Just thinking about things." He weakly smiled, kissing me suddenly on the lips.

I knew he was trying to make me forget about what I just saw, but it didn't work, as I pecked his lips back, before pulling away again.