Ch. 52 Talk

Another week and a half passed.

I began taking the proper vitamins and staying away from radiation at work. I still hadn't told anyone else, not even Jake. I just laid low, trying to decide what to do.

On Friday morning, the Chief called me into his office.

I went in, worried about his reasoning. Had I done something wrong?

When I walked in, he had me sit.

He looked at some papers, then at me. "You've cut time down in the lab."

I nodded.

"Why?"

I sighed. Time to tell him. "Sir, I'm about 7 weeks pregnant. I've just found out and I've been trying to stay away from the radiation."

He sat up. "Oh."

"I'm sorry, sir. I know it's bad timing."

"No, it's fine. Congratulations."

"I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, sir. I've not even had the chance to tell my husband."

"Oh. Do you need the afternoon off?"

I sighed, "I suppose it's now or never, right?"

He nodded.

"The other Dr. Hamilton is doing the treatment and monitoring what I can't do. While she does that, I could go back to working on surgery."

"Okay. Starting tomorrow, I'll put you into the surgical schedule."

I nodded.

When we were finished talking, I told Kelly I was going home. Then, I found Adam and had him take me home.

When we got home, Jake was nowhere to be found.

I went to the basement.

He was there, working at a desk. He was hard at work, typing away. He was also on the phone. "No, don't. Do it from behind. Right. It brings the an element of surprise that you need to your advantage. Yes. And men should be guarding you. Yes, you'll need backup."

I cleared my throat.

He looked up and smiled. He put a hand out.

I walked over and smiled at him.

He put my hand to his lips and kissed it, then he put it to his shoulder. He sighed, "Sgt. Daniels, no. Yes, of course." He was quiet a moment. "Commander, she--yes, sir. Okay, sir. Bye."

He hung up and began dialing another number. "Hey, honey. You're home early."

"I am. We need to talk."

"Can it wait? I'm kind of busy."

"It-"

"Hey, why did our commander have to tell me? Uh-huh. Yeah, right. Where are you? Okay. Yeah, I'll be right up. Bye."

He hung up and stood. "We have a visitor."

"Jake-"

He gave me a kiss. "I'm sorry, honey, but this is job related and it's important."

"Okay," I sighed.

He smiled and led me upstairs.

There was a knock on the door.