Ch. 15 Electric

A couple days later, I was up walking around. I was pacing my hospital room.

Dr. Hart and Dr. Walker sat in chairs, quizzing me.

I answered Dr. Walker's last question.

"Dr. Malone, I think you're ready," Dr. Hart smiled.

"I do, too," Dr. Walker smiled.

"Thank you guys for this. I really appreciate it," I smiled.

"No problem," Dr. Walker smiled.

They left.

I got my cars and started quizzing myself on General, Neuro, and Plastics. I put my headphones in and jammed while I studied. I needed complete concentration, which I couldn't get with all the machines beeping and doctors yelling in the hall. I needed to focus.

I was listening to "Clarity" by Zedd ft. the Foxes on full blast when a hand touched my shoulder. I jumped, gasping. I removed my headphones.

It was just Jake.

"Hey," he smiled.

"I thought you were at work," I sighed, trying to steady my heart rate. I put a hand to my chest.

"I was," he spoke, gesturing to his white button down and navy pants. "I thought I'd come have lunch with you, if that's okay."

"Yeah, of course."

He pulled me to my bed.

I sat down, crossing my legs.

He did the same across from me, putting a bag between us. He unloaded the bag, handing me a tiny bowl and fork. "Mac n' cheese for the first course."

"First course?"

"Trust me," he smirked, opening his.

I followed suit and took a bite. It was really good, so much better than the cardboard hospital food I'd been eating. "How was work this morning?" Then, I froze. "Wait. Can I ask that?"

"You can," he smirked. "It was fine. I've been doing paperwork."

"Slow Monday," I nodded.

"Slow Monday indeed. I had to get out of there," he smiled, taking a bite of his macaroni. "How are you today? You look better with the walking and dancing. You've got some color in your cheeks."

"I'm feeling better. I'm hoping they'll let me go home tomorrow."

"So you can go home and shower, then come back and take your exam?" he smirked, taking another bite of macaroni.

"Exactly," I smiled, taking another bite of mine.

When we finished our macaroni, he got out a little fruit salad and put it between us. "Course two."

I stabbed a pineapple and put it in my mouth. It was so sweet, so fresh.

We ate quietly until our fruit was finished. Then, I looked at Jake. He smirked and retrieved a gigantic slab of chocolate cake from the bag. He put it between us. We each took a bite.

The cake was so rich and moist. The icing was sweet, but not too sweet. It was really tasty. Considering I'd been without chocolates or sweets for days, it was mind-blowingly delicious.

"How's the house coming along?" I asked, taking a drink of water.

"It's okay. The contractor called me about tile, which is ridiculous, but I can't decide what I want and it's a big decision. I'm going to have to look at that tile forever and my future family is going to have to look at it. It's a lot of pressure."