Ch. 27 Boyfriend

The next few of days were tiring. I worked a 72-hour shift, watching a patient and keeping him alive. It was exhausting.

I was working one morning, doing paperwork, when I heard, "Bridget?"

I looked up.

My grandmother stood at the nurses' station. She smiled at me.

"Hey," I smiled. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, um, can you point me in the direction of the cardiac department?"

"I can take you, if you'd like."

She smiled, "That would be lovely."

I stood and smiled, "So how was Christmas?"

"Fine apart from Jackie's heart issue."

"What happened?" I asked as we walked.

She shrugged, "I don't understand the medical stuff. No one used words I could understand."

"Okay, when we get there, I'll take a look, okay?" I smiled.

She nodded.

When we got there, Dr. Hart and other residents were in the room.

He looked up. "Dr. Malone, hi. I thought you were on Dr. Hamilton's service today."

"I am. Um, this is my grandfather," I smiled.

"Oh. I had no idea. I would've paged you had I known," he spoke.

"It's fine. What's going on?" I asked.

"He had a mild heart attack on Christmas, but didn't come in for a couple days. He had a few heart attack-like events. He's doing fine. We're watching him very carefully," he assured me.

I nodded.

"Heart attack? Is he going to die?" my grandmother asked, taking his hand.

"He's going to be fine," Dr. Hart assured her.

She nodded.

He looked over and smiled, "Hi, Bridget. How are you, sweetie?"

"I'm fine. I was getting off my shift, but I can stick around, if you'd like," I smiled.

"No, sweetie, you go rest. I'll be here for a couple days," he smiled.

"Okay, well, if you need anything, don't hesitate to page me, okay?"

They nodded.

I left.

I went to the nurses' station and finished up my paperwork. Then, I made my way to my car. I got in and took a deep breath.

I pulled out of the parking lot and began to head home. I was exhausted, longing to be in bed.

The traffic was light, but people were going insanely fast.

I thought it was crazy. Why would people go so fast? It was unsafe and kind of terrifying to drive with.

I had just gotten on the interstate when a car zoomed past me.

As I started to merge into the traffic, a car hit mine. Being in such an old car, it wasn't prepared for such an impact. It spun out and went over the hill, landing on the street beside the interstate.

I put my head down and braced myself for impact.

The car rolled twice and stopped in a parking lot.

When it stopped, I took a deep breath. I was okay. How the hell did I end up okay?

An ambulance rushed to my rescue.