Ch. 13 Love

I worked on paperwork for a bit and studied the cards Dr. Hamilton made me. I checked on Peter a couple times. I went in his room around nine that evening.

"Hey, Britt. Having a nice night?"

"It's okay. How are you, Peter?"

"I'm doing well. I watched the football game on TV. Now, I'm bored."

"Me, too."

"You never answered Jake this morning."

"What?"

"He said he's in love with you and you didn't say anything."

"I'm afraid to say anything," I spoke.

"Why?"

"Because what if I tell him how I feel and I can't love him the way he needs?"

"Do you love him?"

"When his heart stopped the other day, my heart stopped. I was so terrified he was going to leave me. I think that's when I really knew I loved him."

"You should go tell him that."

"I can't. It's late and-"

He wrote something down and handed it to me.

"What's this?"

"Our home address. It's right down the street. take some time off. Tell him now before you talk yourself out of it."

"Okay," I smiled. I went to the nurses' station. "Betsey, I have to go out for a bit. Will you watch Peter?"

"Yeah, no problem."

I smiled and left. I got in my car and drove to the house.

By that time, it was 9:30 in the evening.

Still in my scrubs, I knocked on the door.

Kelly opened it. "Britt, hi. Is everything okay? Is Peter-"

"He's fine. Is Jake still here?"

"No. He went home."

"Damn," I sighed.

She walked away and came back with an I.D. "Here. This'll get you past his gate. You can give it back tomorrow or something."

"Thanks."

"Are you okay?" she asked as I went to my car.

"I love him," I smiled.

She squealed. "Prepare to tell me everything tomorrow!"

I got in and left. I drove to his place and scanned the I.D. before the gate opened. I drove in, watched it close, and drove the rest of the way to his house.

When I got there, I got out and went to the door. I knocked.

My nerves were getting the better of me. this was ridiculous. I shouldn't have gone. I started to go back to my car.

"Britt?"

I froze and turned.

Jake stood in the doorway, shirtless and flawless. He smiled, "You okay?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to come and-and-" I closed my mouth and laughed, "It's nothing. Goodnight, Jake."

I started walking.

"Britt, you drove all this way. You want to come in?"

"I don't want to intrude."

"Shut up."