Ch. 57 Talking Baby

The next day, I woke thinking of my baby. I wasn't nervous. I was just thinking. It hadn't really processed so much before. I'd never dreamt of what it would be like. The dreams I had excited me.

I dressed in scrubs and tied my hair in a bun.

Jake woke as I was doing my makeup. He smiled at me. "Hey. Going to work?"

I nodded.

"You look happy this morning. Do you have a big surgery?"

"Nope."

"Trauma?"

"No."

He looked confused. "Then, why are you so happy?"

"Just dreams. Nothing important." I walked over and gave him a kiss. "Okay. I'm going to go. I'll see you later?"

He nodded and gave me another kiss. "I love you."

"I love you," I smiled.

I went downstairs.

Adam and Diane were waiting. She was holding coffee. She handed me a cup.

We went to the car and got in.

The ride was short. It was nice. I imagined what it would have been like to drive that route every day.

When we got there, I went into the emergency room. "Dr. Michaels, need any help today?"

He looked up and smiled, "Yeah, sure. Want to go suture a patient's hand?"

"Sure."

He handed me a chart. "Bed one."

I nodded and went.

I spent my mo Ning and afternoon in the emergency room, suturing, stabilizing, and taking people to and from scans. I worked where I was needed.

"Dr. Hamilton, the Chief needs to see you in his office," an intern spoke.

I nodded and went upstairs. I knocked on his door.

My heart was racing. This was the moment of truth. He was my teacher, a parental figure, and he was choosing to live or die. It was terrifying.

Trying to suppress the butterflies, I put a hand to my stomach and rubbed little circles. I needed to breathe, but breathing wasn't going to help my nerves.

"Come in!" he shouted.

I walked in. "You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, I did."

A woman sat on a chair in front of his desk. Her hair was a pretty maple blonde color. She looked up at him.

"Sir, have you made a decision on whether or not you'll be doing my trial?"

He looked at his hands, then looked at the woman. He sighed and looked at me. He nodded. "Yes, I'd like to do it."

"Okay. I'll need to examine you and look at your tests. We need to run a few to see how advanced it is, if it's spread."

He nodded.

"Do you want to do that at NIH?"

"No, we can do it here."