Ch. 9 Bad News

I took Jake into into his father's room and helped lift him into the bed he would be staying in during his hospital stay. I checked his vitals and updated his chart, then I did the same with his father.

"How's Jake?" Peter asked me.

"He'll be fine. It's a fairly severe infection, but it wasn't to the bone, which is a good thing." I looked at Jake. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, you've got a date."

"It's not a date. It's a drink. That's it," I defended.

Arms wrapped around me.

I turned.

"Thank you so much, Britt. God, I was so scared," Dr. Hamilton spoke.

"Me, too," I sighed.

"What happened?" Drew asked.

"Jake woke up during his surgery. Britt had to keep him calm through the majority of the surgery," she explained.

"Oh my God," Melanie gasped.

"I'm fine," Jake sighed.

I gave Dr. Hamilton her scrub cap. "I've checked your husband and your son. Now, I owe Dr. Jenkins a drink."

"He asked you out?"

"One drink. I have rules, so I we'll see how this goes."

"It's a date," Jake snarled.

"It is not and I'm coming back, so shush. I have to go change, though. Don't do anything weird while I'm gone, okay? Seriously, if you throw a clot, I will kill you with my bare hands."

"Yes, ma'am."

I glared at him.

He smirked.

"I'll check in one more time before I head out, okay?"

He nodded.

I left.

I went to the locker room and changed into the black jeans and red top I came in. It was probably a little sexy for work, but I didn't care. I had to change into scrubs every day, so it didn't matter much what I wore. I slipped my heels on, ditching my walking boot in my locker. I tied the look off with a black blazer before I went back to Jake's room.

His eyes widened when he saw me.

"Damn! Dr. Malone is sexy," Drew gasped, his eyes bugging out of his head.

I ran a hand through my hair. "Can I get you guys anything before I go?"

"No. Go. Have fun," Dr. Hamilton smiled.

I nodded and stepped out. I met Dr. Jenkins out front.

"Dr. Jenkins?" I smiled.

His eyes widened. "Wow. You clean up well, Britt, and call me Kyle."

I nodded.

We led me to his car, which was a poor excuse for a car. It was a 2004 Toyota, which was kind of rusted. He didn't open the door for me like Jake would have.

I got in and buckled up.

He drove to the bar and parked. Then, he led me inside.

It was kind of crowded, but he pulled me to the bar.

"Two Long Island ice teas." He passed the bartender money.

The guy nodded and got us our drinks.

I thought it was a little rude that I didn't even get an option of what I wanted to drink.

We sat at the bar.