Ch. 21 Troubled Water

When I came to, a man was kneeling by my side.

I blinked.

"Dr. Malone, are you okay?" he asked in a smooth voice.

"Fine. Who are you?" I asked, feeling the swollen area under my eye.

"I'm Dr. Adam Taylor. I'm a resident just like you. I was bringing a patient in here when I saw you like this. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, really."

I stood and had to grip the machine for support.

"You want a CT?" he asked.

"No, I'm fine. I need to find my stubborn patient."

He wiped the blood from under my nose and flashed a light in my eyes. He put his hands out. "Squeeze my hands."

I did.

He did a full neurological exam. Then, he smiled, "You're good, but if you have any dizziness or any signs of a concussion, page me."

"Thanks."

"No problem," he smiled.

I left the CT room and called security. I went back to Lt. Woods's room.

Jake and Hawk were sitting by his bedside.

Jake looked up. "Oh my God. Britt, what happened to you?"

I held up a finger and walked to Lieutenant's bedside. I restrained his wrists.

An officer came in. "Dr. Malone, you paged?"

"Yeah. Watch him. He so much as tries to get out of bed, you page me and I will sedate him. We clear?"

"Yes, ma'am."

The Chief came to the door. "God, Dr. Malone, I heard what happened. I saw the footage. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I handled it. Dr. Taylor took good care of me, gave me a neurological exam and everything."

"Do you want off this case?" he asked.

"No, sir. I can handle it."

He nodded and looked at Jake. "Sgt. Major, it's your job to protect your people on your turf. On my turf, it's my job to protect my people. I like you and I respect your mother, but if you can't control your men, take them elsewhere."

"What the hell happened?"

"Dr. Malone was getting Lt. Woods from the CT machine when he decked her, punching her in the nose and eye. Dr. Taylor found her minutes later when she came to. He paged me."

"Sir, my men would never hurt a civilian unless they felt threatened."

"You know Dr. Malone. She's worked with your mother as well as saved both your and your father's lives. She wouldn't hurt a fly. You know it and I know it." He looked at me. "Dr. Malone, Dr. Hart is on his way to look at the patient, see if we can fix his lung."

"Okay. I'll get his chart."

He nodded and left the room.

I got the chart and returned in the room.

Dr. Hart came in, glaring at Lt. Woods. He looked at me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," I spoke.

"Britt!" Dr. Hamilton shouted, running in with Dr. Welch on her heels.

"Oh my God. Relax. I'm fine."

She glared at Jake. "How could you let this happen?"

"Mom-"

"Welch, get her some ice," Dr. Hamilton spoke, looking at my eye.