Ch. 5 Hospital

My plans with Jake were cancelled the next day, when he was called into work early that morning. Even though I had been looking forward to spending time with him, I was kind of glad he cancelled. I had surgery with his mother on Monday, so I needed to be on top of my game.

I got out my text book and reference guide, looking over and researching everything I needed to know about the bile duct.

On Monday morning, I woke ready for work. I showered and dressed in jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I did my hair and makeup before slipping my tennis shoes on. I made my way to the kitchen.

Lou handed me a cup of coffee to go.

"Why are you up?" I asked.

"I wanted to see you off. It's your first day of work."

"Thanks, Lou. If you need anything, call me, okay?"

He nodded. "Good luck. Have a nice day, beautiful."

"You, too, babe."

He smiled as I left.

I got in my car and drove to the hospital. I went in and made my way to the front desk. "Hi. I'm a surgical intern and I-"

"Britt!" someone called.

I looked up.

Jake's mom stood at the elevator. "Come on. I'll show you where to go."

I rushed over and followed her into the elevator.

"Are you excited?" she smiled.

"Very."

"Good. How's your friend?"

"He's doing well, thanks to you and Dr-"

The doors opened.

Dr. Jenkins stepped in. "Britt, it's a big day for you. Good morning, Dr. Hamilton."

"Good morning, Dr. Jenkins," we spoke together.

He smiled, "Dr. Hamilton, I heard you claimed Britt. I might have to fight you for her. She's probably the brightest intern we have."

"Tooth and nail, Dr. Jenkins," she spoke in all seriousness.

I felt awkward standing between them.

When the elevator stopped, she led me out of the elevator. She showed me to a locker room and handed me a card. "This is your locker and combination. Your scrubs and pager are in there already. I'll meet you here for rounds in fifteen minutes."

I nodded.

She walked away.

I took a breath and went in the room. I found my locker and got changed. After putting my blue scrubs on, I slipped on my lab coat.

"Hey, you're new!" a guy smiled.

I turned and smiled, "Hi. I'm Britt."

"Kevin. Welcome to the program."

"Thanks," I spoke, putting a pen and notepad in my pocket. I put my pager in it, too.

A woman came in and shouted, "Douglas, Carter, Jones, and Reid to Dr. Hawkins. Nicholas, Freeman, Lucas, and Edwards to Dr. Thomas..." The list went on and on. Then, my name was called. "Malone, Klein, Hudson, and Williams to Dr. Hamilton."

I mentally groaned. I was working with Nick. Great. Really fucking great.

I made my way out the door, where Dr. Hamilton was waiting. She smiled, "Good. We've got a good group."