Ch. 10 For Pete's Sake

I was sitting with my head in my hands, thinking about everything, when someone spoke my name. I looked up.

Jake was looking at me. He was in a wheelchair.

"Oh, hey. Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Looks like I should ask you that."

"Yeah, everything's fine," I assured him. "You should get back to bed."

He sighed, but didn't move.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I want to talk to you...without my mother or father or siblings. I want to talk to you."

Dr. Jenkins came over. "Britt, do you have a minute?"

"I'm with a patient. Is it urgent?"

"Yes."

I looked at Jake. "I'll be right back, okay?"

He nodded.

I stood and followed Dr. Jenkins. I wondered what was so urgent that I had to be taken from a patient. I walked beside him.

He took an immediate right into an on-call room, pulling me with him. He locked the door and pushed me against it. His hands went under my scrub top, feeling me all over. His lips found my neck, sucking and nibbling.

I pushed him back. "What are you doing?"

"Britt, I-"

"No. This isn't urgent."

He began to grind his hips into me. He growled, "This is."

I pushed him back. "Stop. I said no expectations and I mean it. I was with a patient--our patient."

"Britt," he breathed.

"I need to do my job. I've not been home in days. I'm stressed, overwhelmed, and tired. I don't need you, too."

"Sex can help relieve your stress," he smirked, gripping the waistband of my pants.

I pushed him back and left the room. I was walking at a fast pace.

Dr. Jenkins jogged after me. "Britt, please, wait! I'm sorry. I-"

"Just let me get back to work." I approached the nurses' station, where Jake was patiently waiting.

Dr. Jenkins grabbed my wrist, turning me to him.

"Hamilton's working you too hard. You're not thinking straight. Let me take you home. I can help you," he whispered.

"I said no. Now, back off." I tried to get my wrist back, but I wasn't as strong as he was.

Kelly walked over. "Britt, I got your page. What's up?"

I looked at Dr. Jenkins. "Let me get back to work."

He sighed and released my wrist. He looked to Kelly. "She's going on 96-hours. You're killing her."

Kelly looked at him. "I've told her to go home. She said she's fine."

"She's not fine."

"I'm fine. Dr. Hamilton, I need you in your husband's room."

She nodded and went in.

I grabbed his chart and test results. I looked up as Dr. Cole walked in. I showed her the scans.

She nodded and pulled me from the room. "We need to make this personal. He doesn't realize how serious this is."

"Okay. How advanced is it?"