Ch. 33 Business

When the car stopped, we were in front of a gigantic skyscraper. It was huge and covered in big windows. The majority of the building appeared to be glass.

The man got out and got my door for me. He put a hand to my back and ushered me into the building.

We got in an elevator.

He pressed the button for the 25th floor.

The ride up was silent. Deadly silent. Neither of us spoke. And it was awkward. So awkward.

When the elevator stopped, he ushered me out.

A blonde woman at a desk stood. "Ms. Malone, welcome. They've been expecting you."

I didn't say anything as they ushered me into a conference room.

The whole place was modern. It was beautiful. I couldn't imagine working there. It looked so clean, so not like I thought a lumber company would look like.

Everyone in the room, all in suits, stood.

My grandfather was seated at the right end of the end of the table. He smiled, "Bridget, hello. How are you?"

"Fine, thank you. How are you?" I asked, trying to stay calm.

"Very well. Thank you."

I pointed to the woman and man behind me. "Who are these people?"

"Your assistant and your chauffeur," he smiled.

I couldn't help it, I laughed. I laughed hard. He had to be joking! When he rose a brow, I stopped. Oh. He wasn't joking.

"I don't need-"

"You're a busy woman. You need an assistant to keep you in order, keep you up to date. She'll do anything and everything you need. He will drive you anywhere at any time."

I sighed, "I work at a hospital, not a desk. I don't need a driver and I don't need an assistant."

"You're a Malone."

I sighed, "I have work to do at the hospital, so what am I doing here?"

He gestured to a leather chair at the head of the table.

I sat down.

My assistant got me a water, notepad, and pen. She gave me a soft smile and spoke, "Is there anything I can get for you, Ms. Malone?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you." I looked at my grandfather.

He sat.

The assistant and chauffeur left.

I sighed and spoke, "Okay. What's on today's agenda?"

"I want you to meet our team.." he spoke before he introduced the table of people.

There were lawyers, marketing people, accountants--everyone.

When he was finished with the introduction, he  gave me a smile. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing important. You keep calling me 'Ms. Malone', but I'm a doctor. It's not important, but I worked hard for that title so.."

"Noted," he nodded and smiled. He looked around the table. "We should get started..."

He began talking with the group, beginning such a boring discussion, I wanted to rip my ears off and feed my brain to zombies. I understood nothing, not a damn thing. What the hell was I doing there?

I looked at my watch.

My phone buzzed.

Everyone looked at me.