Ch. 4 Dr. Hamilton

I hadn't heard from Jake the next day. I figured he was probably busy.

On Friday morning, I texted him: Hey, it's Britt. Hope all is well.

I showered and threw on a gray cotton tunic I had lying around with black leggings. I tied my hair back and did my makeup. Then, I made my way to the kitchen.

Lou was making coffee. He smiled, "Want some?"

"Please," I smiled, sitting on a stool at our kitchen bar.

He fixed me a cup, then fixed himself one. He sat with me and smiled, "So have you heard from Mr. Yummy?"

"His name is Jake, Lou," I smiled, "and, no, I haven't. He's probably busy."

"Too busy for you? Huh."

"Don't overthink this, Lou," I smiled, taking a drink of coffee.

I loved when Lou made coffee. He'd put cinnamon in it in the fall and peppermint mocha in the winter. It was always really tasty--a plus side to having a roommate that worked at Starbucks for the majority of our friendship.

As I finished my coffee, there was a knock on the door.

I got up and opened it.

Jake stood there, smiling at me. "Hey you."

"Hey yourself," I smiled as he pulled me into a hug. "Where have you been?"

"Working. We had a lock down at the base."

I pulled back. "Lock down?"

"Yeah, everyone's okay, don't worry," he assured me.

I nodded.

He held up my keys. "Your car is out front, by the way. It needed a new battery and a new engine."

"Just my luck," I sighed, taking my keys.

"It's an old car, you know," he smirked.

"Yeah, I know. It really is a good car, though. My luck the other day just really sucked."

"It kind of did. Are you always so unlucky?" he smirked.

"Not usually, no."

"Invite him in!" Lou called.

I looked at Jake. "Would you like to come in?"

"Sure."

I let him in and closed the door.

"Nice little setup you've got here," he smiled, turning to me.

"Thanks. Lou's boyfriend designed it."

"Oh! Britt, I've been meaning to speak with you about him," Lou spoke.

"What about him?" I asked, taking my coffee cup to the sink.

"He wants to move in."

I dropped the cup, shattering it. I jumped.

Jake walked over and lifted me out of the mess on onto the counter. "Sorry, sweetheart, but your luck sucks."

Sweetheart? If I had any hope for not falling for this man, it all went out the window with that one word.

He gave me a quick kiss and picked up the glass. He looked up. "Where's your broom?"

"Pantry."

He got it and cleaned it up.

"Britt, can he move in?" Lou asked.

"Why now? You've been together for six years and he wants to move in now?" I asked, a bit stunned.

"We think it's time to take our relationship to the next level," he smiled. "Please, Britt?"