Part One: June-20

Hunter and I walked out of the cafeteria, and out of the blue teams circle. I adjusted my work out shorts, ones my mother bought me for Track. I just remembered why I never wore them again. They were way to short for my liking.

            “Would you stop tugging on your shorts,” Hunter laughed,  “They’re fine. They’re not riding up and they’re not getting any longer.”

            “Maybe I should go back to the cabin and grab something else...?” I pondered aloud, looking back at the circle of cabins.

            “Nope,” Hunter said, putting a hand on my back and pushing me forward. “We’re already running a little late, no time to go back.”

            “Darn,” I sighed and walked faster, feeling Hunter’s hand slip off of my back. “So, have any advice for me?”

            “Well,” He sighed, “Remain calm and go with your instincs.”

            “Okay, remaining calm,” I said and took a deep breath.

            “That reminds me!” He chuckled, “The dean also wanted me to give you this. It’s like a student ID except no one can fake it.”

            I looked over at Hunter who held grasped a thin silver chain. A saphire the size of my thumbnail dangled from it like a tear waiting to fall.

            “Wow,” I gasped, “It’s beautiful. How do they afford these for every student?”

            “Well, they don’t need that many,” He rolled his eyes, “Just enough for every bed they have in the blue team. And when they leave they return them,”

            “It’s amazing,” I rubbed my thumb and pointer finger along the chain before finaly putting it around my neck and clasping it on. It laid out of place on my raggedy pale pink T-shirt. I stared at it in silence.

            We walked a little further, almost to the statue of Columbia, when I realized something. How did I miss the pretty gem on every student? I would have noticed something this large and fancy around their necks. Looking over at Hunter, I noticed he did not wear a saphire necklace either.

            “Hunter,” I stopped, the main building looming in front of us, “How come I didn’t notice any one else wearing a necklace?”

            “Most hide them,” He said, pulling out a long silver chain out from under his shirt. Dog tags hung from it, and a saphire was implanted directly into it. “And they’re not always necklaces. Some wear rings. Others have ankle bracelets or earings. Some even paint them so people don’t notice them.”

            “Why?” I asked, confused of why they would hide thier ID when it is so pretty?

            “Because it makes the team they belong in less noticable to others.” Hunter  explained as he opened the door, “It’s a spy thing. People really don’t want others to see what they are so naturally they try to cover it up.”

            “Oh,” I walked into the cool, airconditioned front office and smiled at Miss Honey, who sat behind a pile of papers and envelopes. She scowled and pointed to the large doors I entered yesterday.

            “You know where the dean’s office is, right?” Hunter asked, to which I nodded, “Then here is where I leave you.”

            “Bye Hunter,” I smiled as he saluted me and turned to leave. I took a deep breath to relax myself.

            I walked back down the long Hallway once again, equally nervous as yeasterday and not at all confused. Opening the doors, I took one last deep breath.

            “Good Morning Riley,” Dean James smiled, she tapped her pencil against her desk and motioned for me to take a seat.

            “Good Morning, Dean James,” I politly replied. She smiled wider and retrieved a folder from her desk.

            “So, you are a polygot?” She asked, grabbing the mug of coffe on her desk and taking a sip. “And you do Track? I assume you are fast, since it says you have won several silver medals.”

            “Yes, I have pretty good times,” I nodded, I folded my hands in my lap.

            “I beleave,” Dean James said, starring directly into my eyes, “That you are special. You are going to be a remarkable spy. One that will change the game.”

            I blushed, becoming nervous of her words. I only came here to be a Bad A**, a selfish and measley reason. Her words make me feel like I am too high on a pedestool, something I never liked.

            Maybe it’s a spy trait.

            “That is why I brought you here,” Her grin widdened, “For a different type of test before the average exam.”

            “What is it?” I asked curiously.

            “Oh, nothing much,” She shook her head and stood up. “Just to see some of your skills, ones the regular exams don’t pick up.”

            “Oh,” I looked down at my hands.

            “Follow me Riley,” She smiled and walked out of her office. I jumped out of the chair and tried to keep up with her long strides. She stopped at a door in the middle of the hallway, one I didn’t remember and yet it looked familiar. “It’s right in here”

            She opened the door for me and I stepped inside. Out of shock and confusion, I went to ask her why I stood where I stood. But the door closed and dissapered before my eyes.

            So I stood there, mouth unattractivilly gaping like a fish, in the middle of the last place I thought I would be.