Chapter 9

Fang sat silently in his cage, eyes closed, breathing evenly, to the point where he had vanished. He heard a Whitecoat walk in, and gasp.

"Wh-where did he go?!" The Whitecoat stuttered. He had a walkie-talkie in his hand, and he heard it buzz.

"Wait!! Don't--" but before Jeb could finish his sentence, the Whitecoat had opened Fang's cage. Fang opened his eyes abruptly, jumped up, pushed off the back of the cage, and flew past the Whitecoat. He kicked the Whitecoat into the cage and locked him in it, his walkie-talkie lying on the tile five feet away from the cage. Fang strolled out of the room and shut the door behind him. As he continued down the empty hallway, he looked down one hall and saw two Whitecoats with clipboards, supposedly discussing his test results. They both looked up and saw him.

"Hey! Escapee!! Get him!" One of them yelled, and Fang saw a few Erasers out of the corner of his eye. He immediately took off, in search of an escape. Window, window, window... Fang repeated to himself as he frantically looked around. Ah! He spotted a skylight and took off like a jet. He braced himself as his arms shattered the glass. As soon as he burst out of the building, he extended his wings to their full wing-span and pumped them harder to lift him into the sky. The adrenaline running through his body took complete control, and everything was in a blur. He could hear faint yelling from behind him and the bursts of guns. Before he knew it, he looked at his right arm and there was blood. Crap... One of the bullets had nicked him. He bit his lip and held his arm. He looked back and expertly dodged all the incoming bullets. He looked back and saw he was safely out of range. He calmed down and hovered in one area. He took in his surroundings and found himself in an all-too-familiar place.

"So, they weren't lying..." Fang said to himself as he looked up at the Eiffel Tower. Suddenly, he felt a familiar presence. He turned around, fists clenched and ready to fight. He recognized the person, but was unsure of who it was. He was ready for anyone. But what surprised him most was that the person he had sensed was Max.

"Max!!" He said, relief resounding in his tone. He started to fly up to her, but she didn't move. She just...stared at him. Unmoving. Fang looked at her face, and he knew there was something wrong with her.

"Look, sweetie, we need to get out of here..." Fang said cautiously. He reached out to hold her hand, but she flew backwards, out of his reach, "Max?" He asked.

"I'm...not....Max." She growled, her voice lower and more menacing than usual. Fang gasped and started backing slowly.

"M-Maya?" He stuttered, but when she looked at him, her eyes glowed white. Fang gasped but couldn't leave her. She yelled out, and held her fists out, aiming at Fang. Her fists started glowing, and before he knew it, she had shot a strong beam of light at Fang. He was blinded and hurt, and he started falling out of the sky. Th-That can't be Max...or Maya...then who was that?!

_______________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone! 

SOO sorry for the super long updates. I was finishing up the Maximum Teen Justice Xmas Special, in case you didn't know. If you did, hope you enjoyed reading it! Also hope that hinted you guys in on stuff mostly in this book. I will also have something in the Young Justice Red X Factor, too! SO check that out! Don't forget to vote, comment, criticize, make suggestions, and tell your friends! Thanks to all my fave supporters! XD