Chapter 18

"So whatever happened to Ari?" Phoenix asked as she, Iggy, Gazzy, and Nudge sat in their living room about a week or two later.

"Turns out..." Iggy started, "there was a chip in the Jeb clone, controlling the rest of them. Kind of like a Bluetooth puppet. So once we killed him, it killed the rest of the clones."

"The clone was created years ago. About when we finally left the underground hideout after the nuclear rain." Gazzy shrugged, "then the Erasers and Ari were created. Turns out cops found the clone Ari in a motel. Heh."

"Well isn't that just great." Nudge muttered as she took a bite from her sandwich.

"You guys need to loosen up a bit!" Total laughed as he and Angel walked into the living room, "after all, there's nothing to fear anymore! All threats are gone!"

"We're never safe." Phoenix muttered, "no matter where we go, we're never safe. Even if our main threats are gone forever. There's always someone..." She got up and walked down the hallway, leaving everyone in silence.

She continued down the hall then stopped when she heard laughing from one of the rooms. Her parent's room...

Oh brother... Don't tell me... Phoenix knocked on their door, "will you two keep it down in there? People are gonna--"

"Phoenix! Come in!"

She was startled at the sudden invitation. She only swallowed hard, opened the door, and prepared to close her eyes and run away, "wh-what is it, Mom?"

"Why are you looking away?" Max questioned.

"What are you two doing?!" Phoenix gasped, Geez, there are kids in this house...

"What?! No! Come! Look!"

She gathered her courage to peek at the bed Max was sitting on, then gasped, "is that...?! Already?! But it's... How did.... What?!"

Max smiled and laughed, "come on, don't be shy!"

Phoenix slowly walked to her bedside, where Alex and Ally were standing, "w-wow..."

"This is Ace." Max held a small baby boy with little black sprouts of hair.

"Oh, Mommy he's adorable!" Ally poked his chubby cheeks, "he's got a big forehead..." She poked his forehead, making him cry.

"Ally!" Alex shouted at his sister.

"Sh..." Phoenix shushed them as she gazed in wonder and amazement at her little baby brother, "if only Dad could see this..."

Max smiled as she held the baby tight, "his wings are just like Dad's too."

There was a voice behind them, "please tell me this is the last one..."

They all turned and laughed as Fang walked up to the bed.

"Hmph." Phoenix crossed her arms, "right Dad? Is this the last one?"

"Yes. I'll make sure of it..." Fang blushed and looked away.

"You're back early." Max looked up at him as he planted a kiss on her forehead.

"Yeah. Wouldn't want to miss this little guy's first day home." He smiled as he gave baby Ace a kiss on his forehead.

"I want to go tell everyone else!" Alex beamed as he jumped up and ran out.

"Me too! Me too!" Ally giggled as she ran after him.

"So, Phoenix?"

"Hm?" She turned to look at her dad.

"Max told me what you did... That was amazing." He smiled, "but... What really happened?"

"I don't know... I guess it was just my anger?" She shrugged, "and with my powers, it only made me stronger."

"Heh." Max smiled, "well, you've definitely grown..."

There was a short silence, until Fang spoke up, "We love you." 

"Huh?"

Fang smiled, "We love you, Phoenix."

Her eyes welled with tears. She's never heard those words. Ever. And the fact that her dad was dying not too long ago made her even more paranoid. She never thought a freak like her could have living and loving parents to come home to everyday. She cried and gave them both hugs, "I love you, too... I love you so much..."

Max and Fang smiled.

"Well..." She wiped her tears, "I'll be going. Give you guys some time to show Ace to the others."

She turned to leave, but Max stopped her, "wait, about... Your name change?"

"Oh." She thought about it, then nodded, "I think I'd really prefer... Amalda, actually."

Fang gave her a weird look, "make up your mind..."

"It's final. I promise." She nodded, "besides, Mom." Max looked at her, "I know you thought the name 'Phoenix' suited me. And I think so too. But you did say..."

Max stared at her, then smiled and nodded as Amalda continued, "you'd let me pick my own name. When I'm ready, of course. I am ready."

Max smiled and held Fang's hand tightly as she finished Amalda's sentence, "just as I once chose... Maximum Ride."

Amalda smiled and nodded as she left.

"She's grown..." Fang smiled as he sat next to her on the bed, "to be just like you."

Max laughed, "oh yeah..." She smiled to herself, We've made it this far, we're all together, we're finally free of Jeb, Ari, Dylan, Erasers, and clones that can fry us with a look. I can't believe it... Back when we were still at the school, then searching for our parents, then those moments we lost Fang, even lost our own lives...

"This..." Max continued as she held Fang's hand tighter and leaned her head on his shoulder, "has really been a ride."

She turned to look out the window at the sky, where a flock of birds flew. She shut her eyes and smiled to herself again, "An incredible, indescribable maximum ride."