Imitation and Flattery

"Oh Emmett," Jackie sighed as she laid her head against his chest. "I can't believe we're coming to the end of our story."

Emmett's arms tightened around her waist before answering. "I know," he mumbled into her hair as she sat on his lap. "We only have what- one, maybe two chapters left to this story?"

"Mmhm," she replied as she closed her eyes and nuzzled into his neck.

Suddenly her head shot back up as though she had forgotten to tell him something.

"But you'll never guess what I read today as I was browsing through Wattpad," she said with a shocked look on her face.

"What's that?" his deep voice boomed as he slowly rubbed comforting circles on her back. "Has somebody hurt you?" he asked cocking an eyebrow in her direction. With each syllable his voice rose with concern.

"Somebody is actually copying our story," she whispered as she sobbed into his chest. "Why, Emmett? Why would they do such a thing," she cried.

Emmett clenched his fist in anger before gritting his teeth. "I don't know," he answered her, angered by how someone could hurt her like this.

"All our hard work and hours of dedication-" she trailed off. "It makes me not even want to finish this story!" she yelled.

"I wouldn't blame you if you didn't," Emmett answered with calm even breaths. It was taking all of his strength not to go hunt down whoever it was and wring their scrawny little-

"Someone even copied the title to our story, can you believe that?" she told him.

"Well, you know what they say," he said, trying to spin a different perspective on the whole thing. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

"Yeah, well" she replied, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms over her chest. "Clearly they've never had their work stolen before."