Chapter 28

Emmett, Carlisle and Esme arrived just in time to help protect the baby from the wolves. It was mass chaos as the vampires and shapeshifters fought eachother. Jumping into the fight, Emmett was about to throw one of the gigantic wolves into a tree when Jacob came running out of the house.

"Stop!" he shouted. "It's over! If you kill her, you kill me!" he yelled.

A wolf tried to attack the family again but Jacob suddenly lunged forward, shifting into his wolf form, stoping the other wolf dead in his tracks. There was a lot of snarling and growling, as what appeared to be a power struggle between Sam and Jacob unfolded before them. Everyone wondered what was going on as Sam suddenly bowed to Jacob's wolf.

"Jacob imprinted and they can't hurt her," Edward informed his family as he listened to their wolf link. "Whoever a wolf imprints on can't be harmed. It's their most absolute law," he explained.

Sam didn't like it, but as there was nothing they could do, he and the other wolves turned around and left. Emmett couldn't believe it was finally all over. He and Jackie could go back to their newlywed lives. Thinking about Jackie, Emmett wondered where she was.

"Where's Jackie?" Emmett suddenly demanded.

Alice, Edward and Jacob shared a confused look.

"What do you mean?" Edward asked. "We thought she was with you."

Shaking his head in disbelief, Emmett was furious. "That's crazy!" he exclaimed. "Why would she be with us?" he questioned.

All of a sudden, Alice dropped to the ground, screaming in pain. Jasper ran to her side.

"Em-Emmett," she wailed. "Oh my god, Emmett," she cried. "It's Jackie!"

"She's trying to send me a vision of herself," Alice explained as everyone gathered around her. "Oh god, Emmett," she whimpered, "Jackie's dying- she may already be."

"Where?" Carlisle asked as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Her old place," Alice answered. Without hesitation, Emmett flashed off towards his wife. Alice and Jasper shared a look.

"I better go," he said and Alice nodded in agreement before he flashed off behind Emmett.

"You better go too," Esme instructed her husband. Carlisle, however, remained crouched next to Alice for a moment, seemingly in some sort of shock over losing both human daughter in laws in one night. Esme planted a soft kiss on his cheek.

"Everything will be ok," she assured him, "Now you better get going," she urged and he quickly flashed off following his sons.

As they approached the house the smell of blood grew increasingly stronger as they neared. Emmett, of course, had reached the house first. Walking into the living room, he immediately dropped to his knees. His heart lurched into his stomach and a sob caught in the back of his throat. Who would do such a thing, he wondered.

Jasper slowly walked in next, his stomach churning at the sight. Years of war couldn't have prepared him for what he saw. Blood crusted over Jackie's once beautiful face, leaving behind a mangled mess of swollen bruises. She lay there naked, with her arms nailed above her head in an almost sacrificial crucifixion. A long incision split open her abdomen, beginning between her breasts and dragging down the entire length of her torso to her naval.

"Blood," Emmett choked on the words as he stood up, "there's so much blood."

Once Carlisle finally entered the house, he knew it was bad when he saw both boys frozen in place. Quickly flashing over to her, he feared they were too late. As his eyes scanned her body, he knew there was nothing he could do to save her. Emmett needed to turn her, and he needed to do it now.

"Son," he said, gently urging Emmett as he laid a hand on his shoulder, "you need to act now if you're going to change her," Carlisle informed him. "Her heart is going to stop beating any second now.

Crouching down, Emmett realized he kneeled right into a puddle of her blood. His fingers brushed against her cheek as he went to take the knife out of one of her wrists. She was so cold, he thought as he brought her arm up to his lips.

"Her transition will more than likely be painful," Carlisle informed them. "Her heart is beating slow and there's barely any blood left in her body," he explained.

"Emmett, you should be prepared," Carlisle continued. "She might not survive this."

Emmett nodded his head in understanding before biting down on her arm.

Jasper and Carlisle stood in silence as they watched actual tears stream down Emmett's cheeks. He whimpered the cry of a broken man as he pulled another knife from her wrist. With a terrifying howl of anger, Emmett threw the knife before falling back on his haunches, cradling his head in his hands. Jackie's heart had stopped beating.

"We were too late," he muttered over and over as he rocked back and forth on his knees. "We were just too late."

They stood there for what felt like hours.

"Jasper, get a sheet and a blanket from upstairs," Carlisle ordered. "We should wrap up her body before we move her," he explained. "Let's get her home."

As gingerly as they could, Jasper and Carlisle wrapped Jackie's body with the sheet. Emmett was too overwhelmed to help so Carlisle gently lifted her body off the ground and cradled it against him.

For a moment, Emmett stood, staring at the space where her body had been laying. There was a perfect outline of her body surrounded by blood on the floor.

"Take her home," Emmett said. His voice was groggy and strained and his eyes held a murderous glare.

Jasper followed his brother into the kitchen as he experienced a wave of feelings crash into both of them.

"Emmett?" he questioned as he sensed his brother lock on to one very dangerous emotion.

Emmett had been frantically searching in the kitchen drawers for something when he paused to scowl at Jasper.

"Son, what are you doing?" Carlisle asked.

"I said take her home!" he roared.

As Carlisle and Jasper flashed out of the house with Jackie's body, Emmett snatched the box of matches out of the drawer. He walked over to the stove, turning on all four burners. The house slowly filled with gas as Emmett made his way outside.

Inhaling deeply, he let John's scent take over his senses. His eyes darkened as his fangs extended. He struck a match and threw it over his shoulder as he flashed off towards John's location. The once cozy, two story house exploded, immediately bursting into flames.