Chapter 10

The next morning, Emmett, Jackie and the girls took Edward and Bella to the airport so Bella could see her mom in Florida. As they pulled up to the drop off, Emmett and Jackie hopped out to help with their luggage.

"I think that's everything," Jackie smiled as she handed Bella her carry on. "You guys have fun!"

"Yeah, you too," replied Bella.

"Yeah, no working on the weekend," Edward reprimanded with an all knowing smile.

"Oh, I'm finished with the CDC," Jackie explained. "I just have to help give out some immunizations at the reservation tomorrow."

Edward immediately heard Emmett's curse filled objections running through his head.

"I'm sure everything will be fine," he nodded reassuringly at his brother.

"Of course it will be," Bella frowned.

Deep down, Emmett knew she was right. The Quileute would never hurt a human but he still didn't like it.

"Hey," Bella suddenly asked, "if you see Jacob Black, will you tell him to call me?" She looked so desperate, Jackie couldn't object. After making Jackie promise, Bella finally grabbed Edward's hand and they walked into the airport.

The rest of the afternoon, they explored Port Angeles and enjoyed a delicious lunch together. Despite her objections, Emmett spoiled the girls, buying them anything they asked for. Both girls, however, eventually crashed from a sugar high and Emmett was forced to carry them back to the car.

As they pulled up to Jackie's house, Emmett informed her that Jasper wanted Emmett to go fishing with him. Jackie would never admit it, but she was nervous. This would be her first night alone since the break in. Emmett didn't like the idea either, but had no other choice as his family was hunting the red headed vampire Victoria.

Emmett gathered Jackie in his arms and kissed her passionately before he left.

Later that night, with the girls in bed, Jackie went to her room to unwind and watch a little tv. She flipped through the channels a hundred times before finally settling on an old Buffy the Vampire Slayer rerun. She smiled, thinking about how hot Angel was, as she drifted off to sleep.

A few hours later, she awoke, startled out of her dreams. Something felt wrong. Squinting into the darkness, she saw something large standing in the doorway. Convinced the shadowy figure was about to attack her, Jackie let out a small shriek as she quickly tried to scramble off the bed.

"Jackie!" Emmett's deep voice boomed as he tried to calm her. "It's just me."

He stepped into the room and turned on the light.

Jackie blinked a few times, cursing under her breath as her eyes adjusted to the light.

"What is wrong with you?" she cried grabbing her chest. "You nearly gave me a heart attack."

"I'm sorry," he muttered.

"You're soaking wet," Jackie exclaimed, taking in his appearance.

He clenched and unclenched his fists multiple times before finally answering, his entire body radiated with anger.

"Yeah," he huffed, "I fell into the river."

Jackie chuckled.

"It's not funny," he glared.

She had never seen him so furious before. "I'm sorry," she whispered as she immediately stopped laughing.

Emmett looked down at her, so small and scared. What had he done?