Chapter 3

It had been days since Jackie's run in with Emmett and while she was sure he had forgotten about her, he consumed pretty much all of her thouughts.

Sitting down at the computer, Jackie began entering student charts when once again her thoughts turned to Emmett. She couldn't get the vision of him, towering over her with his beautiful amber eyes and perfectly chiseled chest out of her head and she was still lost in her day dream when the town sherrif walked in.

Charlie cleared his throat again, this time a little louder. He instantly felt guilty when he realized he had startled the living day lights out of the girl.

"Hi, I'm Charlie Swan," he said extending his hand to her.

"Jaqueline Winters," she smiled. She could feel a blush creeping up her neck for being caught day dreaming.

"You must be the new school nurse," he continued.

"Uh yeah.. yes, I am." Jackie silently cursed herself for stuttering. Why was she always so nervous around police officers.

"Well then, I doubt you have seen him, but..." Charlie paused then to hand her a paper. It was missing person's flyer, with a black and white photo, a name, Riley Biers and a contact number. "He's been missing for about a year now."

Jackie frowned. He was a very handsome young man, it was such a shame he was missing.

"No, I'm sorry, Officer, I definitely haven't seen him."

"No. I didn't think so," Charlie sighed. "I'll let you get back to work," he said turning to go. "Oh and for the record, you can call me Charlie."

They quickly said good bye and Jackie went back to work entering data from the students files. It was as if no one had entered data for years. Thinking back to the nurse before her, given the woman's age, data probably hadn't been entered in decades.

"Nurse Jackie?" A very weak voice called to her as another student helped him in.

The boy, who's name was Mike, looked like walking death. She and the other student helped him to the exam table. He was burning up. She sent the other student back to class and quickly examined Mike. Runny nose, high fever, cough, inflammation around the eyes, but the scariest symptom was these red patches all over his entire body.

"Mike, I need to step out and make a couple phone calls," she informed him.

"Oh god!" He wailed. "I'm dying!"

"No, no you're not," Jackie smiled sympathetically. "Just wait here."

Jackie stepped out and shut the door behind her. She dialed the number to the local hospital and was quickly connected to a concerned doctor with the last name of Cullen.

"I will send over a team of paramedics and we will quarantine him over here," the doctor instructed.

Within minutes two paramedics came in followed by a very attractive man with blonde hair, flawless pale skin and yet another person with amber colored eyes. Jackie had never seen anyone with such unique eye color and now this was the sixth person in this town to posses them.

"Dr. Cullen, " he smiled as he extended his hand to her.

Smiling back she shook it, "Jacqueline Winters, sir" she replied.

"I thought it best I come right away and check it out. If it's the measles, as you suspect, we could have a pandemic on our hands."

"I've already notified the parents that we're having him taken to the hospital and quarantined," Jackie informed him.

"Good job," he smiled and placed a hand on her shoulder giving her a small squeeze.

Dang his hand was cold, Jackie thought just like...

"How about I see our patient?" Dr. Cullen startled her out of her thoughts.

Jackie quickly led him to the exam room, and sure enough, a few minutes later, Dr. Cullen confirmed Mike had the measels.

The paramedics moved him to the hospital so he could be quarantined and kept under the watchful eye of Dr. Cullen.

The next few days, Jackie was swamped at the school. From checking all of the student's immunization records, to dealing with the CDC and not to forget the faculty, board members and concerned parents. She felt like she was drowning in paperwork and phone calls.

With her back turned to the front desk, she hadn't even heard someone walk in.

"Excuse me?" Called a deep male voice.

His voice was like silk, calling out to her inticingly, but whoever it was, Jackie didn't have time for him.

"Are you dying?" Jackie called, not even turning around.

"Uh... no."

"Anything broken, bleeding or poking through?" She asked again, still filling out some paperwork with her back turned.

"No," the deep seductive voice replied once again.

"Then have a seat and I'll be with you shortly."

She heard a large thump behind her and assumed that the man sat down.

A few minutes later Jackie turned around, expecting to find just another annoying parent or student trying to ditch class, but instead her breath hitched in her throat. Oh god, was she day dreaming again. No, he was definitely sitting there. Or maybe her dreams were beginning to manifest themselves.

"I'm sorry," Jackie quickly rushed over to the front desk. "I didn't mean to keep you waiting," she blushed.

Emmett smiled. "Good things come to those who wait, right?" He wagged his eyebrows at her.

Jackie grinned. Was he flirting with her? "I guess we'll have to see," she replied. "What exactly can I do for you?"