19

Hazil
After weeks of practice, the dreaded day finally came.  Tryouts.  Meanwhile, Frank and Lindsay had become a thing... And Frank had broken up with her, and sent me like 80 apology notes.  In time, the wound healed and he was there with us,giving me support before I headed into the gym for tryouts. 

"I feel like I'll be sick," I said.

"You'll do fine," Piper swept me out of Frank's reach.  She was still a bit angry
with him, and it was really awkward.

"Hazil, your amazing you'll do great," Frank reassured trying to take a step towards me.

"We have to stretch Hazil," Piper blurted so she could pull me away.

"Piper!" I said when she, Annabeth, and I were out of his hearing range.

Piper took a deep breath.

"Look, Frank literally made out with Lindsay, but as soon as he sends you a few apology notes, you let him come crawling-"

"Okay, let's start by stretching our legs!" Annabeth intervened.

"There were 76 apology notes by the way," I mumbled, "they were sincere, and if that's not worthy of forgiveness-"

"I wouldn't forgive him until he got in the thousands," Piper retorted.

"That would be a waste of paper," I grumbled loudly.

"Oh, so when it comes to my feelings, it's a waste of paper. How dandy," Piper was really angry.

We stared at one another with deadly looks until I just gave up.

"This isn't worth it!" I ran out of there.

"Hazil wait!" Annabeth yelled.

I still ran. My destination: as far away from the gym as you can get.

Piper
"Annabeth, wait!" I tugged in her arm.

"But Hazil-"

"I want to talk to you for a moment," I said.

"Okay, fine. But Hazil is getting farther away," she looked at the door that Hazil had ran out of moments ago.

"Can we not worry about Hazil right now," I said.

"Piper, she is your friend!" Annabeth said with annoyance.

"She still likes Frank, that stupid a-"

"I know, but we know Frank meant everyone of those letters, he was sincere!" Defended Annabeth.

"You don't get it!" I threw my arms up in frustration. She just didn't get it.
"You know," I said, " I thought a daughter of Athena would be smarter than this!" I said. That was a deadly line to throw out there.

Annabeth quickly turned red with rage. School Annabeth had turned into attack mode Annabeth very quickly.

"You know what, if it were Jason who did that to you, you'd be crying and later, begging for his forgiveness. Because Piper, if it happened to you-the only person you seem to care about right now- you'd be on your hands and knees begging like a mutt. And you'd probably forgive him the on the first apology letter he gave you!" Annabeth targeted.

"Go comfort Hazil. Apparently she was, and is, your first priority when it comes to friends. You don't even pretend to not pick favorites!"

I ran to the locker room, in the opposite direction as Annabeth.

"What have I done. Oh gods, what have I done! I'm a terrible friend!" I said to myself.

"It's okay dear," a child's voice said.  I looked up to find a little Amber haired girl.  When she smiled, warmth trickled through my body like water percolating through the ground.  Her eyes had a soft golden glow.  Like fire.  Like the hearth.

"Hestia," I said. 

"It is okay, you are part mortal and part God, and both make mistakes.  I too have made a great mistake that I must fix," she looked behind her, hearing footsteps.

"I am not supposed to be in the mortal world right now, but heed my wisdom, while humans make mistakes, they also forgive," she said before she shrunk into a ball of the most beautiful fire I have seen. 

"Was there someone else in here just a minute ago?" A girl popped in. 

Right then I didn't know what to say, so I walked over to the drinking fountain and took a long drink, hoping she would give up on her question once I was done sipping the water.  

"Who are you?"

"I know who you are. Fresh meet," she smiled before bearing her fangs and lunging.