15

Piper
What do I do in these situations?

"Oh my pipes, this so quite a pickle! What to do!" A voice as smooth as brushed hair and as soft as a kitten's fur said. I knew this voice very well, even if I didn't want to sometimes.

Without even looking back I replied, "mom."

"Piper, dear, darling.  Now, I say we hire Leo to hack into her phone and every time she presses the button, she gets shocked. And it will be as painful as eels," she squealed excitedly like a kid in a room of many presents, all for him.  Sometimes, she made me uneasy. 

Love is pain.  Love is anything but easy.  Why is love so hard.  And the Sunday thing.

"Ah yes, the Sunday thing.  What an exciting twist in the love story," Aphrodite  chorused.

"You mean the love story you watch like a screenplay?!" I said agitated. 

"That's the one," my mother replied with no shame at all.  If this is love, count me out. 

"Okay, so last Sunday, I kissed a guy, who really kissed me, but I kissed him back.  And he wasn't Jason.  Mom... What do I do? I'm asking you for advice, when did I get this desperate," I rambled.  It was my mom's mere essence that was making me pour it all out, making me want to look up to her as if she were a role model instead of about as sympathetic as a plastic Barbie doll. 

"What was his name again...?... Tristen?" Aphrodite prodded me with a metaphorical stick.

"Trosen," I corrected.

"And he's Roman... Guess that was one thing you liked about Jason, although he's not exactly Roman anymore. Maybe that's why you kissed Tristen, you wanted a taste of a Roman boy again."

She was getting his name wrong on purpose. And I couldn't pretend not to care.

Just then, my phone buzzed.  It was the person who had texted me earlier. 

"Eels," Aphrodite tempted.  I was considering it.

What's it going to be loser, Annabeth and Percy's relationship... Or yours? 

Hazil
The gang had stopped by at my house, minus Piper.  We had planned for a movie night.  The problem was the movie.

"Little mermaid!" Percy shouted.

"No way, Ariel! We're watching transformers," Leo countered.

"Not a chance, repair boy," I shouted,  "let's watch night at the museum."

I don't even know why I wanted to watch that.  I just did, okay!

"How about we watch the Lion King," Annabeth offered. 

"Okay," everyone agreed. 

Wow. That was easy. 

"Hazil, is your cat around?" Frank grinned.

I shrieked in laughter thinking of the look that would be on Ginger's face if we lifted her up high as we all sang the circle of life.

"Only if you be Raffiki. 'Cause I'm not lifting her up," I said.

"I'll do it," Percy offered.

"Percy, have you ever had a cat," I was so giddy. 

"No, why?"

"Oh, you can lift her up... Just so you know, the bandages are in the bathroom medicine cabinet," I choked on laughter.

"You're joking, right?" Percy said nervously. 

"Why don't you find out," Piper had said from across the room rather glumly, ruining the current mood.

"Hey pipes, when did you get here?" Jason greeted her with open arms that she rejected.  Something was wrong.

"Piper, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Just really tired, you know, with school," she said.

She was lying.  Rather blatantly.  Why was she lying?  I glanced at Annabeth and confirmed she was thinking the same thing. 

"Pipes, can you helps us find Hazil's hairbrush?" Annabeth asked.

"Fine. Sure," she said with a bit of attitude. 

"Pipes, you okay?" Jason stepped forward and placed his hand on her shoulder, which she brushed off.  Unusual, very unusual. 

"I'm fine," Piper said annoyed.  But everyone knew that I'm fine meant she was anything but okay, "Annabeth, Hazil, let's go look for that hairbrush," she walked down the hall, but turned around. 

"Which way?" She asked, seeming to have let go of her glum mood for a few seconds. 

"This way," I said humorously with a smile. 

As soon as we got to my room, I shut and locked the door.  Annabeth and I cornered Piper, like we were hunting her, easing her into the trap. 

"Somethings going on, and clearly, it's bothering you," I said.

"Who should we pound?"  Annabeth said with defensive humor. 

"I can't tell you okay, I just can't.  It will ruin everything," she backed up.  She was closing up, shutting us out,  building a dam to clog up her feelings.  But eventually, that dam would break; better now than later when all those feelings come crashing out in disastrous waves. 

"If I tell you, something might happen.  Guys, I'm scared," Piper whimpered.  Tears were easing their way down her cheeks, like a kid poking his toe into cold water.

"You don't have to tell us, we'll just be here, open armed," Annabeth said.

"Maybe not," Piper spoke directly to Annabeth.