Chapter 30: I Don't Want Your Heart To Break For Me

-Violet-

"Are you sure you want to do this?" James asked for the millionth time.

"Yes." I smiled and took his hand. "We'll show your dad that we're not splitting up and he won't get to us."

James smiled nervously. "Sometimes I wish your optimism would rub off on me. Then maybe I'd get somewhere with my dad."

I shrugged. "Maybe I could've too." Then I tugged on his hand and started leading him to the front door. "Let's just get it over with. It's only dinner."

"We already have to deal with him Christmas Eve for his party. Why push it two weeks early?" He said dully.

I snorted and continued to pull him forward. "And we'll get through that too. It's going to be fine, James. If something happens, we'll leave. It's not a big deal."

"That's what I'm supposed to say," He grumbled.

We reached the front door and I rang the doorbell before James could run away. There's no going back now. The door swung open and Cristin stood on the other end with a giant smile. "You're late," she said.

James glanced at the watch on his wrist. "By five minutes."

Cristin shrugged. "It's rude, James."

James didn't reply and he pulled me inside. We walked around Cristin and further inside the house. James led me into the living room where we only found his dad. He was leaning against the blazing fireplace with a drink in hand and his phone pressed to his ear. "Dad," The annoyance in James's voice didn't go unnoticed.

David lifted his head, a smile tugging at his lips. He told the person on the other end of the line that he had to go and hung up. He placed his drink on the mantle and walked up to us. "Glad you could make it." He looked at me. "It's good to see you, Violet."

"You too, Mr. Roedan." I smiled weakly because I knew he didn't mean it.

James shook his hand and put on a forced smile.

"Dinner will be ready in a few minutes," He informed. "We can head into the dining room."

David led the way into the dining room and we sat down, including Cristin. I was next to James of course and he held my hand tightly under the table. Just as David was about to sit down, I heard Sara's voice call him from in the kitchen. He excused himself and walked out.

Cristin stared dully at her glass, not saying a word.

I felt James lean in close, his lips touching my ear. "The first sign of him being an asshole to you, we're leaving," he whispered.

I turned my head to look at him and his face was barely an inch from mine. "It's going to be fine," I assured. "Even if he does, we'll stay." I shrugged. "It doesn't bother me and I don't want it to bother you either."

"Of course it's going to bother me, Vi." He lifted my hand to his lips, pressing a small kiss on the inside of my palm.

"Gag," Cristin groaned from her end of the table.

But we both ignored her. James dropped my hand and I took that moment to caress his face and kiss him quickly. As I pulled away, James drew me back in for one more.

"Dinner is ready!" David announced.

We pulled apart, but James kept a firm grip on my hand.