Chapter 16: Cuddle With Me Instead

-Violet-

"Violet," Claire's voice brought me out of my work daze.

I looked up from my stack of papers and Claire was gathering up another stack of papers. "Yes?"

"Could you bring these up to James please? He needs them for a client he'll be meeting with in a couple of hours."

"Y-yeah." I stood from my desk close to hers and moved to stand in front of her desk.

She handed me the folder that contained the papers and smiled. "And after you bring those to him, you can go ahead to lunch."

I nodded and smiled. "Thank you. I'll see you in an hour."

I proceeded to leave her office and closed the door behind me. As I entered the elevator, I pressed the button to the top floor and let the doors close. The elevator stopped a few times on it's way up. Finally, the elevator doors opened up on the floor and I stepped out.

The floor was quiet and people seemed to be engrossed in their work. I greeted the people that spoke to me and made my way down the center to James's closed office doors. I knocked twice and sucked in a deep breath.

As I exhaled, the doors opened and Cristin stood there with a grin. "Oh, hello, Vi. Can I call you that?"

"I'd prefer you'd call me Violet."

"Cristin," James spoke.

I looked around her and James rose from his desk. "I have the client papers you requested?"

He nodded and looked to Cristin. "You can go to lunch."

"I'm not hungry—"

"Well I don't need help at the moment. I'll call you when I need you."

Cristin let out an annoyed sigh. "Fine." She looked at me and glared before walking around me and leaving.

Once Cristin was gone, James walked around the desk and past me to close the doors. I heard the click of the lock and he came back to me. "She's such a pain in the ass." He sighed and took the papers from my hands, "I'm pretty sure she's gotten worse since my dad hasn't been here."

"Didn't you say your dad couldn't tolerate her either?"

James snorted. "Not in those exact words, but pretty much. He won't send her back to Iowa because of Sara. He just wants Sara to be happy."

"That I commend him for." I laughed, "But this internship is over in a couple of weeks and then you won't have to deal with her anymore."

"That I do look forward to." He dropped his papers on his desk and cupped my face, "I'm not looking forward to you leaving though."

I smiled sadly. "I'm not either."

He freed a hand and braced it on the back of my neck. He brought his lips down to my forehead and left the smallest kiss. "But I'll be able to see you more after this is over."

I leaned my head back to catch his blue gaze. I'm glad he wanted to see me even after this internship is over. "Won't you still be working here?"

He shook his head. "Not until summer hopefully. School's a bigger priority right now."

I nodded in agreement. "I have my last midterm tomorrow and I'm hoping I got enough studying done."