Chapter 4: And You Could Fire Me

-Violet-

"Vi-Vi." The small voice whispered and poked my cheek. When I didn't move, I felt something warm and wet swipe across my cheek.

I was awake now. "Blue, did you just lick me?"

He giggled. "Yes."

"Are you a dog now?"

He nodded and climbed down off of my bed. "You wouldn't wake up."

"That doesn't mean you need to lick me!" I tossed the blankets from my body and Blue grabbed my hand. He pulled me into the kitchen with all his tiny strength and had me fix him a bowl of Cheerios.

Nic, my second oldest brother at nineteen, came into the kitchen with disheveled brown hair. He's tall, had strong features, and I hated him for it. While my brothers were blessed with the tall gene, there wasn't any left for me. "Were you out all night again?"

A grin graced his sleepy lips. "What makes you think that?"

I narrowed my eyes and glared. "You have a hicky the size of my fist." I wrapped my fingers together and showed him my fist, "And it's on the side of your neck. Your boss is going to kill you."

"I'll just use some of your make-up, it's not a big deal." He kissed the top of my head and walked around me in our small kitchen. Nic and Gray always looked so out of place in our kitchen because of the monstrous height.

My family isn't exactly normal. And it doesn't help when we're named after colors. My oldest brother's name is actually Grayson, but we call him Gray. Nic's name is Onyx, but for as long as I can remember, we've called him Nic. Then me, Violet, and my adorable six year-old little brother, Blue. I don't know why my mom thought it was a good idea. She used to be an artist and that's her excuse she gives.

Our mom is the rock of this family. Without her we wouldn't be here of course. She holds us all together, makes sure we do our homework, and other motherly duties. She hated the idea of Gray and Nic moving out soon. They haven't been able to because of our money situation. Things have been hard, but we've always managed together.

I can't even imagine them moving out. The freedom I'd get would be fantastic, but it wouldn't be as fun if I wanted to sneak out.

Gray came into the kitchen, fully dressed for work. "Do you need a ride, V?"

"Yeah, it won't take me long to get ready."

Things I've learned while living with a large family in a small house, with only two bathrooms, is to shower before I go to bed. If I waited to shower in the morning, I'd never get a chance to. One of the bathrooms is in my mom's room, so technically we only one bathroom to use.

That's not fun in the morning.

Another thing is laying my clothes out the previous night instead of destroying my closet in the morning because I couldn't find anything to wear. Last night I picked out my go-to black skinny jeans, an off white sweater, and flats. It feels like a professional outfit. Especially compared to what that girl Cristin was wearing.

Once I was dressed, I put on a little bit of make-up and pinned my hair back out of my face. I picked my glasses up off my bedside table and put them on before grabbing my bag and leaving my room.

Gray was already waiting by the door with a small smile.

I love him to death, but sometimes I wanted to kick his ass.