Chapter 7: Chaos

-James-

The suit I had picked out for tonight's dinner included a crimson button down and a black silk bowtie.

I was still dreading this dinner of course. Even more so that my mom was going to be there with my dad and his horrid idea of a companion. Cristin would eventually latch onto my arm with a death grip. Just the idea of tonight made me want to bury my head in the sand. Or lock myself in my apartment and not answer any calls or texts.

When I got out of the shower, Chaos was curled on my clean suit sleeping.

Let me rewind a bit.

I kept the dog. Why? I haven't exactly figured that out. But since he's been living here, he's caused nothing but chaos, hence the name. He's always hyper, likes to jump on everything, and not to mention, destroy everything. Keeping a puppy wasn't exactly smart on my part, but for some reason I couldn't bear to see him in the shelter. He sleeps on the foot of my bed every night and is basically my personal alarm clock because he gets hungry.

Violet doesn't even know I kept him.

Instead of getting angry, I carefully picked up his sleeping form and coddled him against my chest. I scratched his belly and he yelped in excitement. It was probably the cuteness that persuaded me to keep him. Or at least played a very important part in it.

His bed was sat next to the side of the bed I sleep on, a good two feet away so I wouldn't step on him when he slept in it. It was clearly never, but still I tried. I laid him down in it and he went right back to sleep. Probably only for so long before he climbs right back on my bed.

I got dressed, fixed my hair, and slipped on a pair of black boots. Chaos came padding over when he noticed I was leaving and nudged my leg. He barked twice and jumped on his hind legs. He followed me into the kitchen where I fed him his dinner and then I left.

My dad lived a good twenty minutes away from me. It was the furthest I could get and still go to the school I wanted to without having a long commute. He lived in a gated community filled with high-end houses that over compensate for something. Whatever that would be is none of my business.

Before the guy could open the gate, he asked for my name despite knowing who I was. He's known me for years, but he's the type of guy to do his job properly. Like who does that, right?

My dad lived far inside this place. After taking too many turns, I finally drove down his street. And when I say his street, I mean it's his. He bought all the plots on this street so no one could build any houses on it. Now my dad is definitely trying to over compensate for something. It's an ego thing. We get it, Dad, you have money. We all know it. That doesn't mean you have to buy a whole street.

The house sat at the end of the cul-de-sac. It was three stories of different shades of brown bricks that ranged from an off white to tan-ish. I grew up in this house and I hated coming here.

There were already cars parked down the street, only a few parked in the circular driveway. I really didn't care that I was late. I would get shit for it anyway, so I don't even care.

After I parked behind my mom's car in the driveway, I breathed a sigh of annoyance and got out of the car. I fixed the button of my suit jacket and smoothed a hand over the front.

The walk up to the house was annoyingly long and when I stepped inside, I could hear the talking coming from the living room. The smell of whatever was cooking wafted and invaded my senses. At least they haven't started dinner yet.